Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why is my ham crumbly?  (Read 4809 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Why is my ham crumbly?
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:41:44 am »
I have been wet curing my own ham for a couple of years now. The flavour is wonderful but I can never produce the firm texture that you get when you buy ham from the butcher. Someone told me that if you increase the sugar in the brine, a firmer texture will result. However I already use two parts sugar to one part salt. (And five parts water).

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Why is my ham crumbly?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »
Are you overcooking it?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:35 am »
Hmmmm...  That had occurred to me as well. I simmer it for 2 hours. Is that too long?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:28:49 pm »
That reminds me of dennis the Irish Vet I worked with for a while. He'd never cooked or looked after himself and was now i his own flat. He asked me for some ideas about cooking. I suggested that as an irishman he might like to start simple and try boiled potatoes.
"I like boiled tatties." he said. So I explained that he scrub them and pop them in a pan of water and simmer for about 20mins. The next day he came back with:
"That didn't work out so good. The little ones was fine but the big ones was still raw."

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:38:35 am »
Oh dear! Poor Irish vet!

So are you saying that cooking time depends on the size of the ham? Mine usually fit into a five litre cooking pot (with a bit of persuasion). Would an hour be OK?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:02 pm »
I tend to boil mine for an hour if its a bit salty and then roast for an hour, or just roast it

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:31:47 pm »
Typically 20minutes per 500g plus 20min. So for a 1.5kg ham 4x 20mins, that is about 1 and a half hours.

Note it takes quite a while for the ham to reach the same temperature as the water so you need to calculate the time from when it is boiling quite hard, not just a few bubbles.

If you are finding it too salty pour off half the water after the first 45 mins and refill with boiling hot water.

I have found if I overlook it goes a bit crumbly so a touch of trial and error needed but also most butchers use brine injection to create their hams quicker, that may mean a different texture but at the expense of flavour.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:59:58 am »
Thanks Pharnorth. I will try that method and see if it improved the texture.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 10:57:41 pm »
try reading this site, some clever people on here; http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=697 lots of pages of different ways

halfwaytothegoodlife

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 01:06:02 pm »
I was always told 20minutes per 500g plus 20min from boiling! But I actually prefer a dryer/more crumbly ham anyway...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS