Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: European Mouflon / Soay  (Read 8243 times)

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: European Mouflon / Soay
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »
Yearlings

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:47 pm »
Yearlings

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 12:16:57 pm »
I am by no means an expert in soay but I will stick my neck on the chopping block and say they are dark phase.

A helpful hint to identification may be found here. http://priscilla.saltmarshranch.com/2010/02/13/light-phase-soay-sheep-recessive-gene/

And I wouldn't agree on the appearance of a white saddle marking from the photos shown. If you look at the first photo and the ram stood centrally there are several areas of lightened fleece. Closer examination should reveal the most likely cause ,  colour changes consistent with changes in fleece type and fineness ( light areas corresponding to finer fleecier areas )   
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
I would say dark moufon, too.

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 08:05:15 pm »
If I had pictures of the ewes I would think most people would class them as light phase. I would agree that maybe due to the dark hair the rams would be classed more to the dark side?

Kanisha I would agree if the light patches were fleece, but these rams really do have a lot of hair and when I had them in the pens the light patches were hair . I was told by the breeder that the main and saddle patches don't come in fully in till they are 3-4years!

I purchased 10 yearling rams that i intend to run on to see how they develop in coat and colour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS