Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone found a good rubber trug?  (Read 7563 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Anyone found a good rubber trug?
« on: May 16, 2017, 06:46:01 pm »
I use those rubber (usually plastic) trugs all around the place, but they mostly seem to have puny handles which break just when it's most awkward.  The really thick rubber ones all seem to be shallow for feeding pigs etc - got some of those and they're great but not what I'm looking for.
Can anyone recommend a real rubber full height trug with strong handles, please?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Anyone found a good rubber trug?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:19:28 pm »
Tubtrug seem to be the best IME although recently the plastic doesn't seem to last as long as it used to. I have one (down to one handle) that must be 12yrs old. The cheaper ones from Aldi only seem to last a couple of months before the handle snaps off..

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
I agree, the tyre rubber trugs are great. They do make some larger ones though - is this what you're looking for, Fleecewife?

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:36:14 am »
Perfect Womble thanks.  I could only find the plastic ones with puny handles.  I've sent off for a couple of the biggies.  Expensive but they do look like they'll last.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »
Yeah avoid the cheap ones,  get Gorilla tubtrugs or the tyre rubber ones (http://www.faulks.co.uk/tyre-rubber/). Both made by Faulks.  The rubber ones are heavy so bear that in mind if you are using them to carry things.
If you shop around you can get the gorrilla ones quite cheap from online builders merchants, just make sure that they say they are gorilla.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:19:18 pm »

The heavy duty rubber trugs recommended arrived today.  They are heavy but really really sturdy, with big chunky handles.  They look pretty indestructible, and ideal for collecting stones or rubble, or for feeding pigs, etc.

As well as those, I also bought:

http://www.rainbowtrugs.com/acatalog/plastic-container.html

The handles on these are more sturdy than the pics imply, and are part of the moulding, so certainly strong enough for general use.  Also they are bright colours so I won't lose them in the veggie patch :garden:

Thank you everyone for your advice  ;D

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »
Can anyone recommend a real rubber full height trug with strong handles, please?

I'm going to refer to them as "tubs": I buy one or two plastic tubs whenever I find them on offer (cos none last for ever).  However, I now apply one rule:  I attach an example pic of two types of plastic tub handles and I now only buy the type of handle as per the orange one.  The type of handle on the black tub, as shown, tend to split easily (split arrowed).     

At grave risk of over-doing the subject of tubs:  I never pay more than £4;  my favoured type last for a very long time (even when used for stone-picking after field harrowing) and they are light and flexible and tolerate being "pinched" for one-handed carrying.  One can pay more for heavier duty, but then also heavier to carry and less flexible: I can carry two of the orange-type tubs, each sensibly loaded with stone pickings, back to the tractor/link box for bulk transit elsewhere.  They really are quite resilient:  so much so that I now have quite a collection.  Note to self:  stop buying tubs for a while!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:44:07 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 12:40:54 am »
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the importance of the handle angle.  Our old ones also would break midway along the handle itself.
The rainbow trugs I bought 6 weeks ago are doing me proud, just for use in the garden, but the hefty rubber ones are excellent for stone picking.  I don't have to lift them, so sturdy comes before weight.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:44:33 pm »
  I don't have to lift them, so sturdy comes before weight.

That's alright then!  ;) 
But since I don't have a porter, I'll stick with 2 light-weight flexible tubs (one in each hand to balance up the load).  Two side-slung flexy lightweights are easier to carry (I reckon) than a single extra-tough heavy tub carried in two hands with the weight out in front of the "porter".  That said, I don't need to consider live-stock nibbling or hoofing about. 
"Horses for courses"!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS