Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 183248 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: bird flu
« Reply #690 on: February 23, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »
The one that's difficult for us is the requirement to keep ducks and hens separate.
I don't have anywhere to separate mine either and they've been together from day one so I see little point ion separating them now with the incubation period as it is.
My worry is how I keep the wild birds away from their food and water.  I can give them a little more freedom in a secondary fenced area, but they need access to their inside quarters during the day for laying, food and water.  So a pigeon could fly in just as easily as one of my ducks or hens could toddle in - in theory rather than practice anyway, since my three French nutters chase them all the time.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #691 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
The one that's difficult for us is the requirement to keep ducks and hens separate.
I don't have anywhere to separate mine either and they've been together from day one so I see little point ion separating them now with the incubation period as it is.
My worry is how I keep the wild birds away from their food and water.  I can give them a little more freedom in a secondary fenced area, but they need access to their inside quarters during the day for laying, food and water.  So a pigeon could fly in just as easily as one of my ducks or hens could toddle in - in theory rather than practice anyway, since my three French nutters chase them all the time.  :innocent:
I use a grandpas feeder. Ordinarily its very practical but with these restrictions it has come into its own even more. chickens and ducks can use it but wild birds can't get at their food.
Water will take a bit more thought but I'm sure I will get there.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #692 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:09 pm »
I use a grandpa's feeder too and (after some initial hesitation shown by the birds) it has been one of the best investments I have made.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #693 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
What's a grandpas feeder - I can't afford to buy one for just a few weeks use - mine usually scrabble on the ground if they are outside, but have trays inside just now.  I stay with them till they've eaten it all because of the rats.  I'll probably still do that, but can't figure out water.

I do think it is highly unlikely any wild birds will go through a 30 cm high pop hole though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #694 on: February 23, 2017, 02:49:21 pm »
A grandpas feeder is a galvanised holder with the food inside. The birds have to stand on the treddle for the lid to open. It closes as they get off. They aren't cheap though.

There is a small pop hole on my coop too but I do sometimes get wild birds inside.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #695 on: February 23, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »
I do think it is highly unlikely any wild birds will go through a 30 cm high pop hole though.

So there's your risk assessment.

Quote from: defra self assessment thingamijig
What prevents wild birds from sharing the food you put out for your poultry?"

"Food is only provided inside the hen house, so it's only accessible to wild birds during the day, when they'd have to go through a 30cm pop hole to reach it. They can't see it from the outside, so they ordinarily wouldn't risk trying. To prevent rats, I only feed the hens when I'm there, so I, and my very excitable dogs are always on hand to chase any wild birds away."

That sounds a lot like 'all practical measures' to me!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:26:12 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #696 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:07 pm »
Thanks, Womble.  I'm reassured xx  OK next is the knitting session - free any time after this weekend.  Do I have to step through jeyes fluid to get into the house  :innocent:  Do you have any lambs?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #697 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:55 pm »
If crows/magpies can go in after eggs I donto think LBJ's would have any problem :-).

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #698 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:15 pm »
I've seen wild birds flying in and out of our pop hole, presumably going for the food. I am going to buy a clear shower curtain and cut it into strips, then see if I can get my birds to go through it to get to thier food and water. I read about it somewhere a long while ago but have never tried. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #699 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:02 am »

I'll probably still do that, but can't figure out water.

Nipple drinker, either large one(s) for rabbits or buy your own nipples off eBay and screw into any size bottle. To train them, put it above their existing water and leave it unscrewed a bit so that it drips a tiny bit - the movement attracts them and they should have it figured out within a day or two. Quite high, they like to stretch their necks up to it. But no good if it's below freezing and I guess if you've got rain water puddles that everyone's drinking out of then not at all useful!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #700 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:19 am »
Or Dans, use an old feed bag and cut 'fringes' to make a similar shower curtain.

We've used this method to darken nest boxes. Worked fine.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #701 on: February 24, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »
Confirmed outbreak at farm in Northumberland.
Small flock of 35 birds. :'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #702 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

I'll probably still do that, but can't figure out water.

Nipple drinker, either large one(s) for rabbits or buy your own nipples off eBay and screw into any size bottle. To train them, put it above their existing water and leave it unscrewed a bit so that it drips a tiny bit - the movement attracts them and they should have it figured out within a day or two. Quite high, they like to stretch their necks up to it. But no good if it's below freezing and I guess if you've got rain water puddles that everyone's drinking out of then not at all useful!
I'm on a limited pension, I can't afford all these things, and I have an auto immune disease so i can't do any alterations.  I'll do what I am able to do within my means, can't do more, very low risk here anyway, only pigeons and my dogs keep them at bay.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #703 on: February 24, 2017, 03:33:57 pm »
Fringed food bag, Doganjo?
Held in place with staples maybe?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #704 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »
Might try that when I come home, away this weeked, son does enough without asking him to do more. Would it work with plastic ones?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS