Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?  (Read 22554 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 09:41:14 pm »
Far too little going on in my plot at the moment.

I've managed to kick some garlic off in pots

The future outdoor veg beds are still covered with weedproof fabric to clear the ground and I've no idea how long I should really leave them.

The indoor beds are waiting to have some manure added and be planted and one is halfway through us digging through the hard clay underlayer.

We have a couple things growing from over the winter, including some self seeded 'raab 60', which has started bolting already!

Oh and I've unpacked the propagator but still not washed it.

I really should get a move on!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 08:45:38 am »
My veg plot is still covered to stop the weeds. i put horse muck all over it before the winter and left it to the weather. I only covered it a few weeks ago as I am thinking of leaving it for a season. My plan is to grow this years veg by using pallets and also my pollytunnel. All my seeds arrived the other week so need to get them started inside. At the moment I am digging out a hole to sit a very old bath in. It was used for years for various plants but we have frogs etc and I fancied a wee wild life pond. I can get a solar powered pump. Anyway that is my plan for this year.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 10:40:50 am »
The radishes have germinated in my tunnel as have leeks in pots, just waiting for early carrots, beetroot, swiss chard and celeriac to break through the soil. We had a gorgeous early spring day yesterday now back to blumming winter, storms and rain  :gloomy:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 12:21:47 pm »
I just started digging my first leeks  :yum: .  Found many had been pot bound from back when they were started off in deep modules.  This year I will try starting in a seed bed to try for better results.

I've just sent off for a bulk ton bag of Veggie Gold soil improver for the tunnel where the soil has become a bit overused.  Will also add my usual seaweed meal, FYM and wood ash.  The hens have done a good job of clearing the ground and left the odd deposit which has dried and will break up easily.  Once rotavated in I don't see a problem with burning the plants as there's not much
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 12:50:26 pm »
Our peppers, toms and aubergines are up in the house and will be transfered to the GH mid Mar with new heater.
In tunnel I have s onions, mangetout, garlic and potatoes in for early summer and salad, carrots, spinach and turnips ready to eat planted last autumn.
Outside purple sprouting, spring cabbage, leeks, celeriac, parsnips and kale still good to eat, with broad beans and onions planted in autumn coming.
I sell veg boxes June to Xmas off the plot and so try to get things going as early as possible to get some income sooner.
Living in Norfolk does give me a slightly longer growing season, but at the expense of all those lovely hills, mountains and river gauges...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
I lived in Norfolk for the first 20 years of my life.  I certainly miss the good growing conditions (my brother constantly reminds me of what I'm missing).  I need the hills and peace of Scotland though - I dreamed of it throughout my childhood.  I accept that I can't grow veg easily outside here but that's why polytunnels were invented  :garden: 

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2017, 10:25:29 pm »
My veg plot is still covered to stop the weeds. i put horse muck all over it before the winter and left it to the weather. I only covered it a few weeks ago as I am thinking of leaving it for a season. My plan is to grow this years veg by using pallets and also my pollytunnel. All my seeds arrived the other week so need to get them started inside. At the moment I am digging out a hole to sit a very old bath in. It was used for years for various plants but we have frogs etc and I fancied a wee wild life pond. I can get a solar powered pump. Anyway that is my plan for this year.

Unfortunately horse muck tends to be the world best weed seed carrier as the horses gut does not kill the seeds , ot just preps them for germination .

Wet composted thrashed baled straw bedding plus any cow muck , sheep muck in fact any dung from animal that has two or more stomaches & ruminates it''s food is far superior  .

Clean out from the lambing shed that's been wet composted is also excellent .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »
Got both plots rotavated last week both have had a covering of 4 year old cow muck , going to sow parsnips at the week end and get green house set up ,

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »
Forgot to say we've planted (almost finished) over 100 fuel willow cuttings in beds on weed suppressant fabric this week for coppicing, drying and then using as fuel - we already have a newly established willow shelter belt but its more for wind protection. Wish we'd done it years ago!
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »
Polyanya, when you get to cutting your willow for firewood, leave it out for your sheep first. They will remove all the bark, which is full of trace elements for them, and clean up the wood for you.  We use willow as part of our winter feeding regime.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Polyanya, when you get to cutting your willow for firewood, leave it out for your sheep first. They will remove all the bark, which is full of trace elements for them, and clean up the wood for you.  We use willow as part of our winter feeding regime.

Just don't let your goats near it either....

We grow willow (hybrid variety) specifically for the goats, it gets cut for them all through summer.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:53 am »

Got both plots rotovated last week both have had a covering of 4 year old cow muck , going to sow parsnips at the week end and get green house set up ,

STOP ! .... If you sow any long root crops such as carrots & parsnips in freshly( with six months or more )  manured ground they will all become multi rooted , very few if which will go down to any great depth . Brisels sprouts like the same old ground as the carrots & parsnips too . for the richer recently manured spoil will make them grow like mad 7 not from nice tight sprouts .

They grow best is soil that has been quality manured three to four  years previously ,  had spuds that same year , then greens in the next year & your roots in year three .

Thats why we speak of a minimum of a three year crop rotation  but if you have the land then go for a five bed rotation ..leaving the fifth bed fallow for a year to allow veg crop soil-borne pests to die out a lot .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 07:09:14 pm »
As the weather has started to change, albeit gradual, I have started to sort out the garden patches. Seeds will soon be started off in the tray's, I have high hopes for this year! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:20 pm »
Harvested the last of my curly kale today and some early carrots from the polytunnel, so along with the cabbages, ps brocolli and stored / frozen veg we still have plenty to eat which I'm really pleased about. April is the only month where buying veg is tempting.
Got my potatoes in today and mangetout are just sowing through outside - a foot high in the PT  :yum:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:39 am »
Up here our kale, PSB and leeks are still going strong in the tunnel.  The carrots outdoors lasted until a couple of weeks ago in the soil and we dug them up then to prepare the bed for this year. They were still really fresh and carroty, much better than the ones we stored in damp sand. Masses of rhubarb so jam to make
Broad beans coming up in pots hanging up in the tunnel (away from mice), lettuce, leeks, savoy and AYR cauli sown indoors.
We had decided at the last minute to fell some old apple trees and plant 4 new ones more suited to our cold climate.  They have just arrived, when we had 12cm of snow lying, so there's a rush to get them in tomorrow, now it's warming up

Half the polytunnel is prepared, with various additives rotavated in.  Can't do the rest until the brassicas and leeks are eaten.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS