Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?  (Read 22627 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:50:27 am »
Hi there

Well my "winter" spinach and corn salad didn't germinate which I sowed directly early Oct, so I'll note that one down to experience.  As I mentioned on the other thread, there was a frost which I think stopped them germinating.

I've just had an email from T&M to say my onion and garlic have finally been dispatched.  They were let down by their supplier, so are 2 weeks behind where they want to be.  Putting those in will keep me busy on Saturday at least.  I've put in some PSB and cauliflower which were doing well in the unheated greenhouse but appear to have been eaten by slugs.  I'll have to put some pellets down which I don't like using but needs must.  There's 5 PSB and only 3 caulis as just experimenting to see what will work.

I'm also thinking about pre ordering my potatoes as I see on the T&M website that they are taking order and 1 set of early varieties was sold out already.  Obviously they won't dispatch them until 2017 but I don't want to miss out like I did this year.  I think I have a voucher for them too.

So I'll be adding rotted muck to the beds that will make use from it and covering them until they are to be used.  I've got my first plan of the veg plot for next year drafted but it's going to need shifting round as my hubby doesn't want the pumpkin patch in the front garden.  Apparently it won't look as nice as the lawned area we have now!  I'm trying to relocate it as I really enjoyed growing them all this year, but they take up so much space that I would like to try and put them somewhere in their own dedicated spot.  He has other ideas however  :innocent: :huff:

I have my leeks and red cabbage that are looking ready to pull so I plan on taking the cabbage out, cooking it and freezing for Christmas dinner then using the leeks as we need them.  Oh and we have a few sprouts but I am scared to use them as I think the entire UK caterpillar population ended up living on them.  They were supposed to be for Christmas too!  One for the learning for next year.

What's everyone up to, anything?  Hibernating and counting the day until the Spring?  :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:10:38 am »
I was just given keys to the allotment!
I was given a plot which is bordering my garden! The best I could wish for!
It has two mature apple trees and very sweet plum and a glasshouse!!!
Two years on the waiting list but it was worth it lol

So at the moment I spend my weekends shifting a mountain of compost and rabbit and chicken manure to the allotment. Then I want to dig the weeds out and plant some garlic and onion before its too late.
Then I will keep working on fencing and later in winter planting fruit bushes and training them along the fences.

Sooooooo much work! At the same time our house is being decorated.... headache headache constant headache...
Can't wait till I can sit down and watch everything grow, chickens running and scratching...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:38:19 am »
Slugs got most of our greens but chard and spinach and kale coming on well. Also lettuce beetroot and fennel in the polytunnel and will be sowing spring onions and rocket in ther as well next week :fc: picking up pork from abbatoir tomorrow, four lambs going  next week, one for us two sold and one for rent

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:39:30 am »
The weds are growing and it looks derelict.  :innocent:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:28 am »
TracyC, please remember that the biggest killer of hedgehogs is slug pellets! You might try a boundary of fine gravel around vulnerable plants?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:08:07 am »
Don't forget to put your broad beans in during the first week of November if it's frost free .

If you've never had them or had a lousy experience with them , they are really quite nice when straight off the plant and not fully grown , lightly boiled and buttered or with white sauce .  None of that stinky smell you get from the ones you'd get in hospital that stink to high heaven and taste absolutely vile . !2 plants have given me about 1& 1/2 pounds of shelled beans .

As I'm th only one who eats them I blanched them for a timed 90 second  scald in boiling water , a quick drain and then plunged them into a big bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process.

After draining them I put them in 25's in cut down heat sealed vac packed bags & labeled them up & bunged them in the dep freezer .  They will last me through the year and also see a few go into the occasional stew pot .

I've been busy moving five full plastic Dalek type compost bins ( 650 cubic litres worth )  some 30 mtrs away to the back of my property now that the landscaping has been completed and things have settled down to growing .
They are full of four year old well made animal dungs & associated beddings compost , old kitchen waste plus a lot of wet straw & shredded garden stuff including 40 or so feet ( both sides )  of chipped / mulched 12 foot tall Leylandi hedge cuttings .

It's taken me nearly two weeks , doing a bit whenever I was able . Interspersed with that I also dumped a couple of buckets of the compost in each 9 square foot X 900 mm high raised bed that need if for the compost hungry crops of next year .

One of these beds was captured by Alison some 18 months ago and covered in 3 mm thick engineering construction waterproof sheet , she'd had some of her Bonsai collection in it till I got the 12 mtrs of 60 wide staging set up for her bonsai .

It had compressed some nine inches , so yesterday afternoon I added four bucket of compost , four buckets of mulched up  coir and two buckets of coarse vermiculite granules then turned it in several times over . 

The bed is now full to the brim , I might just stuff a couple of dozen semi hard wood fuchsia cuttings in it,  for the bed that I did that in last year produced a decent plant on nearly every cutting ( thanks to hormone rooting compound as well  :thumbsup: )

Next week ought to see me starting to draw up my new seed sowing charts for 2017 and discard any seeds that didn't do very well this year .
Some of my seeds are many years older than the seed houses suggest you keep them .
It's been a revealing experience to decant 7 store in tip top storage conditions and work out the real viability of seeds from info off the internet  .

Round here most of the garden centers are clearing the seeds of the shelves in readiness for the Christmas tat  & as a result are marking nearly all seeds down in price often to at least half or less .  Last year we saved nearly £78 if my memory serves me correctly .

Next week is also the latest time I can take cuttings off my perennial Kale ( Chou d' Aubenton Sp??) My strain of plants must be getting on for five or six yerrs old now .  Each year I've run several sets of followers four months or so apart then chopped up & composted the old gnarly plant once I have some new healthy productive  plants up & runing .

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:16:09 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:31 pm »
Its all in my head at the moment.

I am waiting for three large trees to be taken down in early November then I will be ordering sleepers (or something cheaper and better) to build my raised beds. Sadly it does mean that next year will not be as good as it could be but thinking longer term it should be great.

In the meantime I have built my three stage compost bin and this weekend I am putting in the leaf mould area as I have sooo many leaves to collect :)

Ahh the joys of a new garden and only being able to work on it at weekends
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:25 pm »
Ahh the joys of a new garden and only being able to work on it at weekends
Oh an in couple of weeks it will be dark before most people are back from work... I won't even see my animals in the afternoon  :( forget about evening gardening...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
TracyC, please remember that the biggest killer of hedgehogs is slug pellets! You might try a boundary of fine gravel around vulnerable plants?

You can buy organically approved slug pellets in garden centres and online.  I have used them in my polytunnel, where the biggest problem is that the mice gather them up overnight to line their nests  ::)  The pellets contain an iron-type compound which degrades into naturally occurring stuff.

I understand fully the need to control slugs and snails, but have found none of the barrier methods work.  I grow alpines in stone troughs and large pots, the whole soil surface covered with fine sharp grit.  The slugs and snails happily crawl over this and graze the surface of the cushion plants.  I have tried a wool mulch - having plenty of the raw material here - with no effect other than it gets tangled around the tines of tillers and rotavators.  I've tried copper barriers and bought those plastic things with a trough of water, but both are too expensive to use for more than a couple of plants.  Picking the slugs and snails off by hand isn't a realistic option because of the number we get (it's very wet and lush here) and because of the area to be covered.  Also I prefer to sleep at night rather than spend my time searching for slugs and snails. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:02 pm »
<<< After draining them I put them in 25's in cut down heat sealed vac packed bags & labeled them up & bunged them in the dep freezer .  They will last me through the year and also see a few go into the occasional stew pot>>>
[/size][/color]
[/size]Cloddopper, if you open freeze the broad beans on a tray for a few hours, you can then store them all together but without clumping.  That way you save on bags and can vary the number of beans you eat at one time.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I have found there is no point sowing broad beans in the autumn - deep snow will kill the plants if they are outside, they don't crop well in the tunnel, and my Feb-sown crop is only days behind anyway. . [/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I totally agree about using the beans young.  If the scar from where the bean was held in the pod shows any change of colour then they're too old for anything but stew.  Another way to enjoy broad beans at the start of the season is to pick the whole pod when they are about 2 - 21/2 inches long, steam and serve with white sauce, flavoured with summer savory. [/color] :yum:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 01:35:09 pm »
Outdoors in my veg plot there's nothing at the moment apart from the dregs of some carrots and beetroot.  The potatoes are all lifted and stored.  For the first time in the 21 years we've been here, we have some 'frost-free' storage space  :thumbsup: .
We have two areas we cultivate in alternate years, since we cut back on the total area cultivated.  One half has been covered with a thick tarpaulin since the spring, and will be for growing in next year.  The second plot which we cultivated this year is nearly cleared and will be covered with a tarpaulin as with the first, until spring 2017.  We are changing to an almost totally no-dig system, of necessity and this seems to work for us.

In the tunnel, we have several very awkwardly placed self sown kale and PSB plants - they are nearly as tall as me and provide far more than we can possibly eat - still, the sheep love a treat  :sheep:
We have leeks which were planted out late so although they are looking splendid I fear they will go to seed before they are large enough to crop.
We still have tomatoes (sakura) which are producing enough fruit for us, in spite of some frosts already.  They are covered in fleece and the fruit is picked as soon as it starts to turn colour, then ripened indoors.  The foliage is a disaster, but that doesn't prevent the crop being healthy.
The allium bed is prepared, waiting for the garlic to arrive from T&M.
[member=163269]TracyC[/member] I have ordered my T&M potatoes, spring shallots and spring planted onions already.  If you order  all the heavy stuff together it saves on delivery costs.  I go mainly for blight resistant potatoes - this year Carolus was the best, although Orla and Setanta were good - and Setanta makes the scrummiest roasties. Each year I change one variety - this year we had Markies but it was the first to succumb to foliage blight.  For next year I'm trying Athlete.  I have in the past tried the Sarpo types but in general their flavour isn't great in our soil.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:41:38 pm »
I've got carrots and parsnips to pull up and eat/freeze/make soup from, plus the rest of the spuds, which I really need to get out of the ground soon.  Oh, and a few leeks, but they're still rather thin. 

Once they're all up I need to dig out all the strawberries, which have gone mouldy before getting ripe every year so I'm giving up, and then top up all the beds bar the one that'll have the carrots and parsnips next year with rotted manure.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 08:50:44 pm »
CJ. Try potting your strawberries this autumn in big well drain-able plant pots and stand them a foot or so off the floor . so long as the actual berries are not touching anything wet  most will be usable .

Best of all it makes it easy to take new runners off them when they are in pots as you can stand the new pot adjacent to the planted up pot .
 It also helps when you do the three year clear out /destruction  of the older plants for disease prevention & pest control reasons as there is nearly alway some new clean unused disease & pest free soil/compost available for the runners in the new pots .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:21:30 am »
Well I have put some aubergines in - we're off!  They are germinating in the house at the moment.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:33 am »
I sorted seeds out yesterday for first sowings today. I gave up on aubergines 'cos only OH eats them and not many and they are the worst for attracting whitefly into my greenhouse. Toms, peppers, leeks and a few brassicas and lettuce. They'll often go leggy indoors when sown this early and I don't heat my big g'house and the heated one is packed with citrus... so i accept that first sowings (toms/peppers) may end up frosted once moved out to the cold house. Simple plan is a repeat sowings every 3 weeks to catch the early sweet-spot. G'house was cleaned and sterilized last week.. my usual lazy way with a load of sulphur chips in an old saucepan and set alight, vacate the greenhouse while it fills with fumes all day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS