Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?  (Read 22636 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2017, 11:24:13 am »
Decimation on a biblical scale.

Ok that might be an exaggeration I have a bit of a spider mite issue. My corn has been hit hard. I am just about to order some neem oil.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2017, 12:35:12 pm »
I've planted my sweetcorn out - in the chicken run! Chickens are free ranging untill winter and in winter they will be fertilising the chicken run/plot for nitrogen hungry plants. Next year I'll plant pumpkins in that spot.
Mice have eaten all my squashes seeds from pots, except for one! I replanted seeds and put them on the highest shelf.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2017, 06:55:24 pm »
Finally nearly finished transforming the veg garden, for easy access. Sowed runner beans, french beans, toms, squash, cucumbers, courgettes and pumpkins. Almost all are ready to be planted outside, although cucumbers are going to be conservatory grown, I think. Raspberry canes have gone into the ground, so 2 more bushes and then the fruit cage is complete. Really looking forward to this growing season! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Big Mat

• Joined May 2016
  • King's Lynn, Norfolk
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »
The potatoes are coming on nicely. Sugar snaps look well, asparagus is in it's second year so i've not picked any of it. Radishes are up and the spring onions, carrots and parsnips will emerge soon I'd think.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:49 pm »
We've just got up the last of our early potatotes, Lady Cristly, from the polytunnel and they taste amazing. I'm sure they're better than the potatoes I grow outside.
Also just finished planting out 600 + leeks. I've dug the bed over from pasture over the last month so it's been quite a job to get them in but yhey are looking great.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2017, 11:24:37 pm »
The rain of the last couple have days has made a real difference to the plot. Runner beans are running up the poles, salad leaves nearly big enough to eat, even the beetroot that I had just about given up on (bearing in mind the seed packet said to use by 2015) have started sprouting. Brassicas doing well. French beans ready to go out, together with courgettes and squashes.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
lots of germination and planting out -  onions are all coming up, garlic beginning to follow, have just planted out corgettes, pumpkins and beans.  Today i'll be putting manure in the tyre stack hotboxes for the squash.

the only  disappointment is the tomato seedlings which are still really small  - I think I shall say sod it and buy some

Also my nextdoor neighbour has a greenhouse with a few broken panes and I've just agreed use of it  if i repair it for her (with glass shes already purchased) - she'll help with the watering and we'll share crops, which will extend my growing space (as ive already filled my 10x10 ft poly tunnel)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »
Almost done the garden. Runner beans, courgettes and squash planted out. Fruit bushes are giving bumper crops, so will have to net them against the birds. More and more veg to be planted out, got more bamboo canes to put out, soon!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »
Planted out my squashes yesterday, harvested first potatoes, they grew really nicely in the polytunnel but i will not grow this variety again - no flavour at all! They are called rocket. I don't recommend it. Very pale white flesh.
I'm really disappointed in how they taste.

Sweet corn if growing nicely.
Apple's and plums are growing very well. Peas are doing well.
Planted two beef tomatoes plants outside (someone gave them to me). Rest of the tomatoes are going in the ground in the polytunel.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2017, 11:05:41 pm »
I have two minute cucumbers on the tiny plants in the greenhouse which I am watching eagerly. All the beans are now plants, together with the summer squashes. My brassicas - caulis and sprouts are growing well and I have added some broccoli seedlings that I was given. There are also last year's leeks which are going to seed in the same bed. I am going to leave them to flower partly because the are so pretty and mostly because the bees love them. I had started harvesting the salad leaves and the radishes will be used soon. I need to start sowing the next lot of leaves as I find they don't last forever. I still have the winter squashes to plant out and one pumpkin that I was given. The garden is looking pretty packed and my friend just told my OH that she is going to text me as she has some spare plants looking for a garden. Where I'm going to put them is anyone's guess but I'll try to find space somewhere. There's always builder's buckets if nothing else (holes drilled in bottoms).

The cucamelons I planted are still looking very spindly although they are climbing the supports. I havd noticed a bit of extra growth round the bottom so maybe they are putting out more shoots. Time will tell.

Enjoying planting up my herb garden in pots. I have a small section of decking that is rotting, so that is coming out tomorrow. I do know there are steps underneath but no idea what state they're in so it maybe that more decking is needed. More expense but now I can't do it myself, I have to get someone to do it for me. As it is, I do an hour's gardening and then go and sit down for another hour so it's a long process getting jobs done.

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »
Bit of hoeing on plot one this morning. These plots get so much easier to handle once you tame the buggers.
Things look nice with netting off and easy to work but it wouldn't last long unnetted. Red cabbage, kale and cauli

runner bean patch and plenty of cardboard for the slugs   ;D

these things need to stop going mad

dwarf beans and out door toms

few broadbeans

spuds looking good now

goosegogs hopefully they don't all drop off before they ripen like last year

looks like I should have pruned me raspberries last year

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2017, 11:06:22 pm »
Looking good, Captain. Mine is coming on well under the nets. Need to get under there myself to do some weeding.

The decking came out to reveal beautiful smooth steps so my herbs are now mostly in pots nicely arranged and looking good on there.

I have a good crop of figs coming on the tree that went in last year. There were 30 but a few have dropped.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2017, 11:27:29 pm »
Nice pics captainhastings.  It's great to see someone else who grows on the flat  :D .  Are you a follower of Geoff Hamilton, with all the water pipe hoops? His advice is as good now as it was back then.

I picked our first cucumber today  :yum: .  Small but delicious and perfect with looseleaf lettuce (mazur).  Our tomatoes went into the tunnel soil a few days ago - they're a bit stretched having had to wait until warmer weather (now 3c forecast for tonight) but I know they'll green up and get a bit sturdier.  I grow sakura which usually reaches to 8', and shows some resistance to and tolerance of blight.
I'm a bit behind though with planting out the runners, which are living up to their name and wrapping around eachother while still in pots.  Good job I'm used to untangling yarn !  I sowed a 2nd tray of modules of beetroot ages ago - a single plant has come up.  Oh well, the first 2 lots are doing fine outside.  Squashes and courgettes are still in pots but they will catch up as soon as I can get them out in the soil.  I do have a couple of outdoor raised beds, as an experiment to see if they are easier to cultivate than ground level crops (for me, they're not).  One is half full of a very neat crop of chick weed obscuring the onions, some from seed, so that will be a lovely job for tomorrow  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2017, 09:06:46 pm »
First red tomato today, a Garden Pearl, hopefully the other varieties will mature soon. Been munching on strawberries over the last week too.
Onions and early tatties are far enough on for me to start selling veg boxes again this week, with calabrese, broad beans, salad, turnips, carrots and kale all suddenly flourishing. Nice to be making an income again off the veg plot.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2017, 08:23:13 am »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS