Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: extra food for elderly wether  (Read 2111 times)

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
extra food for elderly wether
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:02 am »
Hi everyone, can anyone recommend nuts for an elderly wether?  (Just realised what I have written, but will leave it!).   :innocent:   One of my elderly wethers has lost weight this year , and I want to feed him dry food as an extra this winter, as I do for my elderly ewes.  I have read that rams and wethers should not be fed ewe nuts on a regular basis.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: extra food for elderly wether
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:03:41 am »
Most general purpose stock blends are fine for rams - ask the vendor.

Otherwise, you can probably get a 'Tup & Lamb' mix.  I feed that to my ewes too, they don't need very high protein.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:36:39 pm »
I would feed grass nuts.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »
Thank you for advice

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 03:37:33 pm »
If you want him to have as long a (good quality) life as possible I'd also recommend giving him access to shelter over the Winter, or perhaps a (large size) dog coat or calf jacket if his fleece quality is poor.  Pneumonia is probably the main risk, especially if you get lots of cold, wet, windy weather.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:31:35 pm »
thank you Marches Farmer - yes they have a large horse shelter well bedded with straw, and ad-lib hay in the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS