Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prices and age of slaughter - Portlands  (Read 1483 times)

straush

• Joined Dec 2015
Prices and age of slaughter - Portlands
« on: October 07, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »
Hi,

we have decided to get some Portlands (rare breed) 

two questions -
a) what is a "normal" going rate for ewes that has been with a ram at the varies ages 2y, 5yo and 10yo

b) what are the ages to take ewes to slaughter -  thinking if I buy an older one and have a few lambs - is it feasible to then get the meat (by older I mean 5 or 6 yo)

thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Prices and age of slaughter - Portlands
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:42:42 am »
Rare breeds usually fetch less than commercial breeds because they are smaller, less sort after comercially, and take longer to fatten. So I would look up what commercial breeding ewes are fetching - either in the farming press (google it) or look on something like "Preloved", Farmads where you will see a picture of what's for sale. Then expect to pay less.
However, an animal is worth essentially what you are prepared to pay. Portlands are not renowned for having a lot of twins, so may not fetch as much as, say shetlands. But there again, if you fall in love with some particular animals you may be prepared to pay more, for example because they are very friendly and therefore easy for a beginner to handle.   
And yes - you can eat sheep meat at any age - just needs cooking slower if it's older.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Prices and age of slaughter - Portlands
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:15 pm »
Portlands as a rule have one lamb per lambing but cycle all year round so you could in theory get 3 lambing in two years.

The price depends on the quality. You will pay much more for a show quality animal than just a standard flock animal. All depends what you're after!

I would not pay more than 50 to 80 pounds. And probably no more than 30 for an old ewe from a good breeder.

Have a look around. They are gorgeous sheep... be careful to research the breed so you don't get sold dudds... if you want to be able to sell lambs you need quality!

The lambs are born a beautiful red colour btw!! They are lovely docile sheep, I hope you enjoy them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS