Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pre Tupping routine  (Read 2294 times)

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
Pre Tupping routine
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »
Hi all,
It's my first year tupping with my own flock, I was just wondering what do you personally make sure is done to the ewes before Tupping to ensure a fruitful and healthy lambing as well as making sure the ewes are at their peak!

Many thanks,
Keelan

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Pre Tupping routine
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:15 pm »
We are tupping for the first time too. Our ewes had a mineral drench 3 weeks prior to ram going in, 2 weeks of good grass and gave their feet a once over too. Wormed and fluked when we bought them in August. The ram went in last Saturday, they are out on grassy stubble now as all the good grass was making them look rather round, but they have a handful of cake every morning to keep them tame and ad lib good quality hay which they are picking at as and when.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:12:30 pm »
We always give them a wormer prior to tupping, about a week or two previous, then we tidy them up before he goes in. If the weather is good we always reserve a field of really fresh good grazing for them, have them on it 2-3 days previous to him going in and the lambing is then really good. Do be careful about overfeeding though, as it can flush them into having 3-4 lambs, which is not ideal. WE always have a lick bucket in with them whilst tupping and through the winter, so they don't run short. If grass is in short supply I would agree with twizzel about ad-lib hay and some cake, that is what we had to do last year, not this year though :) Hope this helps. What breed do you have if you don't mind me asking?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »
We are tupping for the first time too. Our ewes had a mineral drench 3 weeks prior to ram going in, 2 weeks of good grass and gave their feet a once over too. Wormed and fluked when we bought them in August. The ram went in last Saturday, they are out on grassy stubble now as all the good grass was making them look rather round, but they have a handful of cake every morning to keep them tame and ad lib good quality hay which they are picking at as and when.
I wouldn't recommend this for Down sheep, which can get fat on the poorest of grassland (it's how they were originally utilised on the South Downs).  Did you also check their teeth?  Broken-mouthed ewes will find it hard to keep themselves in good condition over Winter, let alone grow lambs.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:55:36 pm »
I wouldn't recommend this for Down sheep, which can get fat on the poorest of grassland (it's how they were originally utilised on the South Downs).  Did you also check their teeth?  Broken-mouthed ewes will find it hard to keep themselves in good condition over Winter, let alone grow lambs.

Checked them all when we bought them all 2T lleyn X texel ewes- don't want lots of triplets and condition scored them pre tupping they didn't want any more weight. They have the hay if they need it but are quite happy grazing the stubble most of the time. They have a foot and fertility lick too.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
Don't forget your tup - he is half your flock!

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »
Thanks a lot for all the advice guys, apologies about the late reply! My ewes are mainly Norfolk horn and one Charollais x Shetland ewe that is a a bit fat, trying to help her she'd the excess weight! And the ram is a Poll Dorset,
Thanks again guys

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS