Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waste exemption license - £840 for 3 years!!!  (Read 2382 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Waste exemption license - £840 for 3 years!!!
« on: August 31, 2016, 03:06:47 pm »
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding some post we've just recieved. As some will know, we moved into our Devon smallholding about a month ago, and we've just had some post regarding the renewal of a waste exemption license for the property. I assume the previous owners took it out, and it seems to be regarding the burning of untreated plant material on site.

To renew this for another 3 years apparently costs £840!!!! That's an awful lot of money for a bit of admin, so I assume it's sort of a "fine" or perhaps "carbon tax"?

Is this worth bothering with? Are we really going to get in trouble for burning hedge cuttings etc?

Thanks

Adam

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Waste exemption license - £840 for 3 years!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »
I think a waste exemption licence is different to a burning licence. In Scotland you can apply online and get permission immediately for burning. In our case it included tree prunings, weeds ie ragwort and silage plastic. I hope someone in your area will offer some additional advice.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:10 am »
Thanks for that -Sadly the rules do seem to differ quite a lot between england and scotland as a general rule - I'd imagine waste exemption would be similarly different.

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:58:03 am »
It may be worth talking to the folks that issue the exemption license & checking it is exactly what you need.  I have just been granted an exemption from having a permit here in Wales (& yes I know it's probably different in England!) which cost nothing; however other exemptions do cost - for instance one that includes burning waste from other people's hedgerows.  I presume that would be because that would be waste disposal on the way to being "commercial".

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:12:45 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-your-waste-exemptions-environmental-permits#how-much-an-exemption-costs

Here is a link which seems to indicate all exemptions are free except for those in connection with WEE.

Any way you should be able to work things out from this website.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS