Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New To Making Cheese  (Read 3024 times)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
New To Making Cheese
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
Hi

So I am now drowning in goats milk from our Saanen X and would like to have a go at making some cheese.

Does anyone have any easy/reliable recipes to be starting off with for both hard and soft cheeses?

Thanks

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: New To Making Cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
Drowning here also  ;)   I have so far made some soft cheese and currently have a semi hard one drying out.
I have used recipes from a book that came with a 'soft cheese making kit' from ascott supplies.

I also have a book by Katie Thear which I think is called something along the lines of Diary and cheesemaking?

so far so good!! be prepared for lots of wet cheesecloths  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:36:27 am »
Have a look at the New England Cheesemaking Company's website. Very simple instructions with videos. Books and equipment available too. Moorlands is another UK supplier for cheesythings!
Goodluck!
Lizt

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »
second recommendation for katie thears book!
moorlands starters look good....
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Ricotta cheese: Take 4.5ltrs of milk, juice of 4 lemons, 1/2tsp salt (or sugar if you want to make cheesecake). Combine milk and lemon juice, heat slowly to about 83degC, when curds start to rise (I use a water bath for that and it takes AGES, but works). Leave at this temperature for about 5 mins, then ladle into prepared cheesecloths (dampened and you need about 5 -6 layers, as curds will be very soft). Hang to drain, then cool in fridge. I have made this using shop bought (cows) milk, so it was pasteurised. Not been able to play with my goats milk yet, as most of it still goes into goat and human kids... (another 4 weeks until weaning)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.  I'll let you know how I get on

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS