Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cutting for hay late this year?  (Read 5221 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: cutting for hay late this year?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:29 am »
How many different weather forecasts does everyone check?  Netweather is usually pretty reliable for my postcode and is saying I have a 4-day window next week, but what are the best ones to double-check against?  I've found Metcheck to be pretty rubbish (it will only take the KW14 part of my postcode, which means it's telling me the weather 25 miles away and that's often very different).

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 08:42:09 am »
Well watching the lashing rain blowing sideways past my window I thought I'd see what netweather had to say...... supposed to be sunny/cloudy now!  Forecast hmmmm!?!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
I use BBC weathrr, but even that can be wrong. Someone on here did suggest a farming weather forecast website, but tha name has slipped my memory. according to weather we should have good weather next week, so you never know. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 07:28:01 pm »
Thanks - we hedged our bets and cut the two smaller of the three on Thursday, so if it went wrong weather-wise we had another go at it.  This is how it's looking this evening, it's just a little damp underneath and in an ideal world I'd be turning it tomorrow, but we're due torrential rain overnight tonight  ::)  so it's staying untouched and I'm crossing my fingers the two-day dry gap I can see for Wednesday and Thursday materialises!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS