Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking on a new paddock  (Read 2166 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Taking on a new paddock
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »
My neighbour passed away earlier this year and friends of mine are in the process of buying a 3 acre paddock from the estate.  It has been cut for hay in previous years and is now ready but doesn't look like it will be cut- unless my friends prompt this with the estate. (Usually it is cut when mine is by the same contractor so it would have been done last week).

New fences needed all round then we aim to co graze it with sheep and horses February through to August. My question is should we push for it to be mowed/ hay cut now as the purchase is going to take some time, or will it be ok to leave and graze on directly in the spring?

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Taking on a new paddock
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 05:51:31 pm »
In my personal opinion I would have it cut, never good to leave fields overgrown until spring. Cutting would be much better for grass growth. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
I agree it will help thicken the grass and stop the weeds taking hold.

But, how long is it ? Will the cut grass be able too be removed?

We had the same problem when we bought ours and the grass was cut & left over winter which suppressed the grass underneath, we then had a big rake & Harrow job on and a few months to put it right.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:02:17 pm »
Thanks for the responses which are very helpful. Managed to get my friendly contractor over this evening and we are looking to top it and spray it by early October, rake off any cut that is likely to smother the new growth. Sounds like a plan.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS