Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cutting for hay late this year?  (Read 5185 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
cutting for hay late this year?
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »
I'm afraid I missed out an oppertunity for cutting back in June, the really busy week it happened to fall upon! :furious: However I was told that there would be another opportunity soon enough, according to the weather forecast it has forecasted rain, sunshine and cloud for the next two weeks. I also heard on the news, not long ago, that June has been the wettest month on record in years? Not sure how long. I also heard a DJ say that only last year they predicted a heatwave for June this year, I will believe that when I see it, Oh wait its too late :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: cutting for hay late this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »
Azores high come over the country tomorrow, well, some of the country... it's not a strong presence according to the forecast but should keep southern areas dry till Sunday I think.

Not sure about further north.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:32:21 pm »
Let's hope so. Cut mine this morning......

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:03:36 pm »
Pouring down in Yorkshire at the moment.  We did not cut any due to a tractor tyre being flat thank goodness.  We have made perfectly good hay in August before now.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:32:08 am »
Hay is often cut in August around here (North Yorks) and sometimes as late as September.  I always aim for as close to 19th July as I can.  I'm not sure why, but it's always proved lucky for me!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:40:28 am »
We can't get the equipment up here easily so we find it easier to buy in, but we did cut one year when we were on tir gofal and we weren't allowed to cut til July 15th.   I think the idea being that it gives birds a chance  to get little uns away. 

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
We did some of our last month, and slightly missed the timing window so I am not sure how well it has stored

We hope to do the rest this month.

________
Caroline

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:49:50 pm »
Thank you for this thread, We are new to hay making this is our first year. We are in south Cumbria and haven't cut any yet, I was worrying that we had missed the boat but you have reassured me that all is still well. Watching the weather forecast closely.  :raining: :sunshine: :gloomy: :farmer:
So many ideas, not enough hours

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:19:20 pm »
Sun is shining here and they're just doing the first cut in the fields round and about.

Must be predicting dry weather round here for a day or two! :fc:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »
where are you in the country ITH ?
So many ideas, not enough hours

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 12:30:31 pm »
thinking of doing it in the next day or so, I have 2 days clear, but not sure whether i should take the chance?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 03:03:06 pm »
2 days is not long enough for hay except in exceptionally hot and windy weather ... more like 3-4 days ....... are you wrapping?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 04:04:51 pm »
Also depends on the field - hay will make in 3 days on our most westerly field, where it gets both sun and wind, but needs 5 on the easterly one which is sheltered and has a shady area along one side.  We plan to go into Winter with more grazing than last year, since the grass was so late getting going this year, and are buying in some of our neighbour's hay.  Hopefully not from his damp field where it's full of buttercups or the one with lots of knapweed, which shatters in the hayrack and more of it ends up on the floor than in the sheep .....

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »
It's in phew!  6 drops of rain this morning so it went in the barn quick, so need to keep watch it doesn't overheat but it looks good smells good and it's all in. Time for a nice glass of wine. If yours isn't don't yet then the best of luck with it, yield is good due to the wet June.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
more rain than sun here , everything is ready but field too wet to chance tractor on, now a waiting game  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS