Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moulting?  (Read 2030 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Moulting?
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:35:42 pm »
Hi

I have seen a few of you mention moulting - is this regular, occur at a certain time of year?

I have been on my hols for a week, come back and noticed that the ex-bats have a couple of big bald patches - rather than being patchy. 2 of the ex-bats especially have clear round patches on their necks, where before they were patchy. So I was wondering whether they were moulting the poor feathers prior to growing their new feathers, or whether they are fighting each other. The patches seem very clean - plucked almost, rather than as if they had been yanked out by another chicken.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Moulting?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:01 pm »
do you have a cockeral.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:59:15 pm »
Nope - just 5 ladies. 3 ex-bats, about 18 months and 2 Copper Stars about 18 weeks.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:03:44 pm »
Over the week I was away my MIL has been spoiling them rotten, and they are all desperate now when they see me for a treat - I think she came over hourly to give them a lettuce each! Anyway, one of the baldies has tried to peck my hand today while I was opening the pen, and all 5 are now crowding the door as I open it and pecking my feet - no more wearing sandals/crocs while feeding the chooks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS