Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chick Food  (Read 1851 times)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Chick Food
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »
If a broody hen hatches chicks - what do the chicks then eat?  Assuming no chick crumb available?  Does she regurgitate food for them?  I'm thinking if she wanders of and hatches them outside of a pen.  Obviously one can supply chick crumb if they are in a pen!

Sorry, bit of a daft question, but only just occurred to me, any chicks I've had have been artificially raised.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Chick Food
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »
All the ones I have hatched under broody hens, have turned their noses up at chick crumbs.  My friend gave me some she had left, and when mine hatched last week, I offered them some and again they left it.  Seem to be eating mixed corn with mother hen, but she does dig in the pen, making an awful mess, finding them grubs and insects.

We had a hen hatch chicks away from home on a railway embankment, and they survived, presumably on what mum dug for.  A broody hen is amazing to watch when she is digging for food for her brood .....she never stops!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS