Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bedding  (Read 3122 times)

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
Bedding
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:37:56 pm »
Is it okay to use shredded paper as bedding? just a thought for recycling ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Bedding
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:22:52 pm »
I do. only problems I find iwth it is that it is more likely to stick to their feet than straw and then gets all over their run looking messy but whoever thought a chicken run needed to be imacculate  :D

it also sticks to the eggs slightly more and you can be left with a bit of a white stripe.

still, gives them something to read while they are sat in there...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »
yes, I do too
tend to use shavings on the floor if I can, then paper in the nesting boxes... so the girls can tell the difference!
found if it gets too wet, you end up with paper-mache...
Little Blue

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:26:11 pm »
Thank you, I might leave straw in the nest box as they seem to have got used to it and use the paper on the floor.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
i tried it for a while, but found it to be too messy or it may have been the chucks
that were messy!
i found it annoying when the rainy days came and they come into the house with wet muddy feet and well
everything get wet and muddy esp when the sat in the nesting box to lay.
anyway that only me, the others seem to be happy with it, hope it works out for you :chook:
langdon
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »
I used it for my pups for a while but gave up on it - as Sandy said to me, it clung to everything and you'd find it lurking throughout the house.  Went back to sheets of newspaper on the floor and torn up lengths of paper on top - that worked for the pups, but not suitable for hens.  I just use straw - always dry under their bums ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:22 pm »
Well, we do, but gave up in the winter as it didn't perform well in the wet.  However when it is dry it escapes and blows everywhere.  OK, if it's on your own land, but not so good over the neighbours! 

Unfortunately, we do seem to get vast quanities of paper from one source or another so do shred it and use it for the chicken then compost it.  Good for my conscience, makes me feel greener!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS