Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mealworms  (Read 22370 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Mealworms
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:16 am »
Congratulations Q sounds like a booming success  :excited:
What are courgettes?
Also is your mealworms  farm inside or out? Just wondering because mine were outside in a shed but we had a very wet summer not if that was the reason but unfortunately mine didn't make it. So if I can convince my family  :thinking: to let me have them in the house I may try again
I bet your chickens just gobbled them!
Hi Vinnie - you may know a courgette as a zucchini.  the mealworms are kept inside but I dont think it would have mattered as its been quite warm here over the summer - I am sure the beetles should be approaching the end of their life span - I thought it was 3 months but they seem to be going ok.
The Chickens get all excited when they see the mealworm box coming - the first batch is now almost gone but I'm trying not to give them too many at a time because I dont want to unbalance their diet with all the extra protein.

Here's a picture of the third batch - give you some idea about how many.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:50:30 am by Q »
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 09:18:20 am »
Vinnie ,  courgettes are what you guys over the pond call  Zuchinni ,   if left to grow on past nine inches long they can become 2 foot long monster " Marrows "
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 03:52:42 am »
We have lots of zucchini but think I will start calling them courgettes. ;D
Q  wow you do have probably 1000's of worms that's so neat. I am definitely going to try and grow them inside I think our summer this year just wasn't good for them too chilly

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:33 am »
Now i have more worms maturing than the chickens can reasonably eat. 

Even though I separated the boxes out at intervals there are mature mealworms in each box mixed in with the younger ones.

I think I may need more chickens!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 09:31:51 pm »
Freeze the worms in tie wrap bags perhaps ...  So that when it slows down in deepest winter you can feed the chucks on newly thawed ones .
 You ought to also be able to dehydrate them and vac pack worth while amounts .

That could be an interesting exercise in making a simple 50 watt light bulb dehydrator and some form of cage to hold the worms in till they get dried & died out  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:10 am »
Freeze the worms in tie wrap bags perhaps ...  So that when it slows down in deepest winter you can feed the chucks on newly thawed ones .
 You ought to also be able to dehydrate them and vac pack worth while amounts .

That could be an interesting exercise in making a simple 50 watt light bulb dehydrator and some form of cage to hold the worms in till they get dried & died out  .
I did a bit of research on freezing them on the reptile forums - apparently the freezing process breaks down the fat after a few days. there was a comment that they wouldnt feed the mealworms to their reptiles after they had been frozen for more than a few days.

I also read that keeping them cool slows down the development of the mealworms - that would explain why they all seem to have matured at about the same time.

But chickens ain't reptiles & dont need the worms as a protein - just a treat.

Did find out why they mealworms were not being used quickly enough - I think my OH was giving the chickens too small amounts - they must have been getting about one each  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS