Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mealworms  (Read 22278 times)

RoyC

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Portsoy,Aberdeenshire
Re: Mealworms
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:49 am »
I used to keep mine in bran.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:56:25 pm »
Spotted our first beetle today from the meal worms we bought from the petshop.   :excited:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »
Bran is a good idea too some use ground up flax, anything soft for them to crawl in and can eat too.
 :thumbsup: Q

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »
Thought I would separate the beetles & found 20 or so - they were hiding !

I also separated about 100 pupae because when the turn into beatles they will be easier to find.

Just need to find out  how long to leave the beatles to lay eggs to create the first lot of mealworms.

I intend to separate the beatles every 4 weeks so that each container contains 4 weeks worth of eggs that I can keep separate to make sure they are roughly the same age and size.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »
That's great I found this website gives a short outline of the life cycle of mealworms. It says after the beetles turn black about 2 weeks later they should start mating and laying eggs.

http://mealwormcare.org/life-cycle/
Hope that link works

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 08:16:10 pm »
That's great I found this website gives a short outline of the life cycle of mealworms. It says after the beetles turn black about 2 weeks later they should start mating and laying eggs.

http://mealwormcare.org/life-cycle/
Hope that link works

Thanks Vinnie - that was the bit I was missing - two weeks as a black beetle before laying eggs. 

I assume over winter the beetles will die but the worms would survive & cooling them down slows the process.

I fed my chickens a few adult worms today just to make sure they would eat them after all this effort - they did  :relief:

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 03:57:48 am »
That's what happen to mine over the beetles died and about half of the worms lived. They probably would all live if you brought them in the house or some other warm area. I had my out in a garden shed so they had some protection. Our chickens eat the dead ones too, I think they think they are alive because in the pan as they peck the worms bounce.   ;D

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
This is a brilliant thread, I would love to see a book or website with all the concise info needed for growing mealworms.

Can I ask somebody experienced are meal worms the easiest and best bug food to bread? Or what other bug food is fastest, easiest to get per gram of edible food?

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:42 am »
This is a brilliant thread, I would love to see a book or website with all the concise info needed for growing mealworms.

Can I ask somebody experienced are meal worms the easiest and best bug food to bread? Or what other bug food is fastest, easiest to get per gram of edible food?

Interesting question....  Now I want to know the answer to that as well !   ::)

Here's a nutritional comparison to housefly maggots :-

http://www.mypetchicken.com/downloads/MuscaDomesticavsMealworms.pdf

For me though - mealworms are good because they seem to be a 'clean' insect to deal with.  I am happy to have them around and handle them.

The beetles dont fly  - I couldnt imagine breeding flies in the same way - yuk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:48:52 am by Q »

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 03:45:42 pm »
Have a wee look on reptile forums UK you don't have to be a member but in the feeder area there's loads on breeding mealworms

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »
I don't think I could handle doing the maggots from like flies. iI don't know what type of bug it is but there is one bug the queen is long and black stripped I only saw her a couple of times and she lays thousand of maggot like babies, they are usually around decaying stuff I will have to see if I can find its name. But breeding them is not for me they look way to much like maggots. I think mealworms are about the easiest. The are quite, barely fly, don't smell too much, and don't bite. :thinking:

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »
I think mealworms seem to be the most popular. There is so much info about them, I can't wait to get started. I'm going to add them to my muesli ever morning.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »
I have never tried them ,but they say they have nutty flavour and are crunchy if you toast them.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 11:23:41 am »
I catch insects and bugs of all kinds in my bug traps, I like to put them in my blender with some mixed frozen fruit and a little vanilla ice cream and wizz it all up. delicious.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »
I catch insects and bugs of all kinds in my bug traps, I like to put them in my blender with some mixed frozen fruit and a little vanilla ice cream and wizz it all up. delicious.

Nope - not doing that !

I had thought of possibly trying some mealworms but you just turned my stomach.   :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS