Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fast growing cheap hedging?  (Read 18972 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
fast growing cheap hedging?
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
Hi
I am on a corner plot on an estate that does not allow fences around the front garden.  :-[

It doesnt allow chickens either  :chook:, but that hasnt stopped me! ;D (Chooks are out back surrounded by a 6 foot wall and fence and the neighbours don't mind.)

I have a big chunk of land out the front that I cant use because it is not fenced off and there is no hedge. People often walk their dogs past and let them poo on my grass! >:(

I know that if I put up a fence I will be made to take it down. (Two other neighbours have tried it) Hedges are ok though.

SO my question is what to use? I am going to need about 70 metres of hedging and I can't spend much on it. So what would be best and not too expensive and quite fast growing?

Thanks for any advice.
Val

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: fast growing cheap hedging?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »
Hawthorn is quite quick growing and not all that nice to mess around with when its established and its very pretty just now covered in May blossom and it will provide a lot of birds a dinner later when the haws are fit :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:26:04 pm »
I'd agree with wizard, hawthorn is great. We've also planted blackthorn, (also prickly and with the possibility of some sloe gin in a few years time ;)) as well as hazel. Rather than buying individual plants we we bought bundles of bare rooted ones (about 3ft) which worked out quite cheap, but I think it may be a bit late now this year to get them.  We also bought some evergreens, ie; holly, pyracantha etc, which the birds love.
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »
Willow is another super fast grower and you can 'lay' it so you get an attractive sort of hurdle effect when it's without it's leaves. Once you get it to the height and density you want it's just a case of chopping off all the extra bits (and you can sell/give them away as cuttings)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »
Hello HH did you know that a machine comes in the field somewhat like a automatic cabbage planter and sets 9" pieces of willow and it is later harvested as biomass when its 8 to 9ft tall for the Drax power station project around here.I haven't found the crawler cutting it yet To video it working.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies. So Touchwood is yours a mixed hedge? I think that can look lovely.

And how do you "lay" willow??

Do I ahve to wait until autum now to plant bare rooted hedging??

Ta

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »
Val, you could start with some plants from your locla supermarket - they all have plants in stock just now.  Lay the main ones out now to show people your borderline, they'll be in pots, so you can leave them or plant them out, then get bare root ones in autumn to fill in the gaps.  You can put willow in almost any time, but just watch it doesn't have access to a drain pipe or water course - it LOOKS for water!  It grows very fast - ask HappyHippy (Karen) about growth and layering.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:44:18 am »
Val, yes it's a bit of all sorts, I'm trying to do something that blends in with the hedgerows rather than the leylandii hedge we inherited and have something that's good for the wildlife. We're lucky in as much as we already had quite a lot of self sow hawthorn around as well as willow so we were just able to move them, but as doganjo suggested we got our evergreens from the supermarket -Aldi -
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:01 am »
Here's a link to a hedge laying article
http://www.hobbyfarming.co.uk/hedgelaying.html
For bare rooted stuff you'll need to wait til winter, but it's possible to get pot grown or cell grown saplings that can be planted anytime. Cheviot trees are good http://www.cheviot-trees.co.uk/ as are Alba trees http://www.albatrees.co.uk/ I'm not sure if you could plant willow cuttings now - but I'll check with my resident tree expert  ;) and let you know.
Hope that helps
Karen x

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:25:54 am »
I'm looking forward to my willow- I only planted it about 6 weeks ago, and its already coming into leaf and starting to grow. Hopefully it will really help my hedge along. I could really do with a supply of good branches in the garden for the goats.

Beth

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »
How far are you away from Limber.There is a hedge laying competition later on if you are interested I will post the event for you

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »
Here's a good offer from the Woodland Trust - 90 saplings for £60 - http://www.native-tree-shop.com/hedging/hedge-in-a-box-multipack
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:23:36 pm »
Thanks Karen. Would willow be ok in a very exposed windy spot?

Wizard I am in central Scotland and I am afraid I don't know where Limber is?

Anne that sounds like a bargain! Thanks for the link. I am not sure what "field maple" is though ..... any relation to acers which can't survive where I am? They get all burned with the wind. Am I right in thinking that multipack could be planted anytime as it is saplings? I think I would need 4 packs.

Next problem - how do you plant a hedge??  ??? ??? ;D

I am just off to the dump in Alloa to get some of their free compost - it's good stuff! Have you tried it Anne?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
Next problem - how do you plant a hedge??  Huh? Huh?  -
If it's grass just put a spade in, lever it forward enough to get the plant in, put it in and take the spade out!
I am just off to the dump in Alloa to get some of their free compost - it's good stuff! Have you tried it Anne?
  Yup, great stuff, got some sitting waiting to be used!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:56:56 pm »
The machine that plants biomass willow lays a 9" stick on the ground at right angles to the row in the right place and a press wheel runs over it forcing about 3"of it into the prepared ground and leaving it more or less upright It plants the sticks at walking speed.Just dig the ground over where you want the hedge to grow and push the sticks into the soil by hand.I don't know if you should slope them ! The machine planted ones grow upright although they were planted with a slope to them.I really cannot see the point in using willow for hedging everything but every thing in your world will eat it particularly sheep and goats.Much better to use Hawthorne and/or Blackthorn.Mind it will take a year or two if you want to plash it. ??? :D :farmer:P/s I know all about wattle panels ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:59:26 pm by Wizard »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS