Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fast growing cheap hedging?  (Read 18977 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Re: fast growing cheap hedging?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:19 am »
What's a Kunekune?? ??? ???  Whatever it is (unless it's a reptile) I am sure I would love it!
I'll let you know how many soon - need to do some sums!
Cheers

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:54 am »
Just googled kunekune!  :o :o :o :o
Toooooooooooooooooo cute! I want six!
 ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 09:42:52 am »
Yes, Val, I loved them too when I first saw them and they are sooo friendly.  I was told they don't dig up the ground so much as other breeds, Karen, is that true?  My (vegetarian) pal and I nearly bought some - she was a wannabee entrepreneur and acquisittee, and organic to boot, I had teh land - but I moved here instead!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bamford6

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:05 am »
Willow .iv got 300 yards off this 18 foot high looks good in the spring and in september layer and thred it to make it look better .after the first yere put stakes in it

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 11:34:44 am »
I'd go for a hawthorn hedge, get the bare root plants in the autumn, its a very chepa way to plant a good hedge, just means you have to wait til then though!

HappyHippy

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
Ah but Dixie, my willow's free - don't get much cheaper than that  ;D ;D ;D

Annie, they don't dig AS MUCH as other pigs - but they do still dig  :o

Valr, I'll hopefully have piglets for sale towards the end of the summer (if you're interested  ;)) But you're more than welcome just to come and visit for a cuddle and a scratch (with the pigs - obviously  ;D)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:22 pm »
I've never seen a willow hedge, we have planted willow branches and grown trees but never tried a hedge!

HappyHippy

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »
It's just a case of either 'laying' the willow as it grows (like weaving it into a hurdle effect) or cutting it all back once you've got the height/bushieness you want. We've got a hawthorn 'hedge' that's not been cut for years and has turned into a row of trees (though it's getting chopped and replaced with something lower soon)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »
Have you a wood burner HH Dry Hawthorne is one of the best woods to burn if it is seasoned :D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »
Karen I like the sound of giving one of those piglets a squeeze!

I have never seen woven willow hurdles in Scotland - can anyone post a link to what it looks like or how to do it? I can't quite imagine .... and how thick is it? Will maybe have a wee google myself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS