Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fast growing cheap hedging?  (Read 18974 times)

HappyHippy

Re: fast growing cheap hedging?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »
Hi Valr,
Yup it should be fine, as long as your soil's not too dry. We're 1000 ft above sea level here and right in the middle of windfarm country  ;) so if it grows here - it'll grow anywhere !
I'm still waiting for my Dad to get back to me as to whether it'll grow now from cuttings taken (he's a bit of a tree hugger) where in central Scotland are you ? I'm near Lanark and happy to give you some willow cuttings - providing they'll take now.
As for planting - take up the grass round where you want to plant and if it's willow just stick them in the ground - it's as easy as that !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »
As for planting - take up the grass round where you want to plant and if it's willow just stick them in the ground - it's as easy as that !
Val's near Falkirk, Karen.  I didn't bother taking teh grass up - just stuck them in.  I don't think I've lost any of the millions of little pencils you gave me!  Brilliant!  In fact 'Pure dead brilliant!'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 08:14:34 pm »
 ;D ;D  Wizard, my neighbours would go MENTAL if I had sheep or goats in my front garden (although there is undoubtedly room for one or  two!)

Yes Karen I would love to take you up on your offer - I'd like a mixed hedge I think and some willow in about it would be fab.

Thanks for the advice on how to plant - will need to prevail upon hubby to give me a hand. (Despite being brought up in the country and working on farms in his student days he is very loathe to get his hands dirty in the garden!)

Anne I got loads of sacks of compost and also went skip diving - got a rattan chair and a chest of drawers for my pal Helen. Roy (by brother in law who is working for you just now) was utterly MORTIFIED!   :D :D :D :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:06:42 pm »
went skip diving - got a rattan chair and a chest of drawers for my pal Helen. Roy (by brother in law who is working for you just now) was utterly MORTIFIED!

Ha ha, I'll just bet he was!  Very straight laced is our Roy!  And FAR too soft about quotes and paying - not me, I paid him on the spot - in cash, but don't tell the tax man.  But knowing him he'll declare it anyway!  I'm amazed at what people throw away.  My pal Sandy is always getting stuff at the tip.  If we hadn't had a full car load of compost last tiem i'm sure she'd have squeezed some stuff in.  Waste not, Want not is what I say.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »
Yes - keeps it out of landfill!
I hear my nephew Chris is doing some painting for you! Keeping it in the family  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:51 pm »
Yup, painting the outside eaves and soffits white to match my new uPVC doors and windows.  Don't know when yet.  Lovely lad.  May have a job contact for him too if he wants it.  Need kitchen done too, but got a shock at how much it was so that may have to wait.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »

Yes he's a lovely big lad. He is very into dogs so will love yours I'm sure! He has a spoiled boy called Reo.
I'm sure he would be keen on the contact you mention as he is out of work at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:34:53 am by valr »

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 11:18:01 pm »
Hi Valr, Have checked with tree hugger and willow is the martini of all trees - will root anytime, any place, anywhere  ;)
Recommended spacing for a hedge is about 12 inches between trees for a nice dense effect - how many do you want ? We've got plenty  ;D ;D ;D
If you're coming to the meet at the Guardbridge hotel on 18th May I can bring them with me or post them up to you, unless you'll be in the Lanark area anytime soon ?
Just let me know what suits you best.
Karen x

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 10:36:00 am »
Will let you know Karen - depends when we can afford to buy the mixed hedging! Cheers
and thanks again for your kind offer
Val

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:43 pm »
Hi Valr, Have checked with tree hugger and willow is the martini of all trees - will root anytime, any place, anywhere  ;)
Recommended spacing for a hedge is about 12 inches between trees for a nice dense effect - how many do you want ? We've got plenty  ;D ;D ;D
If you're coming to the meet at the Guardbridge hotel on 18th May I can bring them with me or post them up to you, unless you'll be in the Lanark area anytime soon ?
Just let me know what suits you best.
Karen x

Karen please don't think me cheeky (well only a wee bit!), but I'm coming on the 18th and would love to start a willow hedge too - any chance of some willow from you please? 

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:39 pm »
Hi Egglady,
I don't think it cheeky of you at all - if you don't ask, you don't get  ;)
How many would you like ? (Allow 1 cutting for every 12 inches of hedge) Just let me know and I'll bring them with me to the meet.
Karen x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28:05 pm »
If Val wants some and can't come to the meet, I can take them for her and give them to her sister whho lives about 5 minutes walk from me.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 08:30:14 pm »
That would be great Anne as I won't make it to the meet. I can come and pick them up from you though! (My sister would nick them :D :D)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »
That would be great Anne as I won't make it to the meet. I can come and pick them up from you though! (My sister would nick them :D :D)
Never?  Not our Janice!

HappyHippy

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 08:22:48 am »
LOL ! No fighting between you and your sister please (I'll happily get some for her too, there's no shortage  ;)) Let me know how much you both need and I'll give them to Annie to save you having to come down, unless you want to come and see my Kunekunes................................... but I wouldn't want to be responsible for putting ideas into your head  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS