Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs Like eat strangest things  (Read 15992 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Dogs Like eat strangest things
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:07 pm »
After competing 2.5 hours of revision, i decided to use up some off our eggs, making a meringue, so the mixture went on to grease proof paper and into the oven. 2 hours later out it comes and i left on the paper, and placed right at the back of the unit.

I came back 5 mins later to find that the dogs had eaten it all, including the paper!   :dog:

HappyHippy

Re: Dogs Like eat strangest things
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »
I was almost scared to read your post Cameron in case it was some vomit inducing tale  ;)
My daft GSD will eat most things (nasty and nice) but his absolute favourite thing is tomatoes ! I swear he can hear them being sliced and just stands there with the drool tripping him till he gets a bit  ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:02:22 pm »
I can list an ever stranger thing for a dog to have eaten, A rescue greyhound ate a whole 150 watt heatlamp, with no major effects, his gum was cut and bleeding, but the swallowed glass passed right through, and for days we were lifting poo full of red glass   ;D
it was worrying at the time but when you look back it's kinda funny

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »
The mother in laws spaniel will eat ANYTHING! Melon skin was the strangest thing ive known it to happily eat!  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »
our rescue GSD has a liking for christmas baubles, she about stripped the tree and fetched stuff out the boxes before we got round to putting them in the loft!

only things we know she doesn't like are onions (which is good) and bananas....
Little Blue

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:58:35 am »
My late german shepard loved oranges, I caught him staring at the orange tree one day and moving his head as if he was searching, next thing he grabbed an orange and started eating it.  Our currant dog Turdles is appropriately named, he is a poo conisur (spelling), dosn't matter what kind of animal it comes from, yet he is fussy about the food we give him.  Go figure.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:39:16 am »
Ours aren't too bad but I saw Dan's parents late collie, Timmy, eat a used coffee filter complete with grounds. He also ate a bowl of lard - that made him quite sick.

Sam, his partner in crime, takes the biscuit (pardon the pun) though, by eating a "ladies personal item" left by some thoughtless camper on the hill behind their house. Dan thought Sam had a mouse in his mouth as he could see the "tail".

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:27:56 am »
Eurgh  :P knew the vomit inducing stories would turn up, but a morbid sense of curiosity made me read them - blurgh ! Especially Sam's one - btw she was no lady if she left something like that lying around  >:(

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:17:39 pm »
My greyhound once ate a tray of 36 eggs and the tray, talk about wind inducing, she stank for days! ::)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »
My GSD Jess likes ginger nuts but not dog biscuits or dry dogfood - in fairness I can't fault her for that.

She also likes cowdung though (must be very fresh so she can lap it up); conversely, if she gets a fresh rabbit she leaves it for a few days to ripen before eating it.

I think an infrared heat lamp's going to be hard to beat though  :o .

mab

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:00:43 pm »
I have a lunatic spaniel that is obsessed with soft fruit, will eat anything at eye level and its a race outside in summer to see who can get the strawberries first, she has also eaten a lemon, took a while and she never really enjoyed it, well thats the impression I got from her face!! :P

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 01:16:35 pm »
Ben loves collecting fruit with us and sniffs the bushes out!!!! Mind you,I think  his fave dinner is any sort of poo!!!! (remember the post about me in the woods with a bad tummy  :-[ )

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:47 pm »
OH refers to my beloved hound as a labrador with spots due to her tendency to eat anything and everything.  For example:  we were running a bit late the other day, loaded up the truck, one dog, eggs in egg boxes hidden down the side somewhere.  Got home, 'how many eggs?' I asked OH.  '2 boxes of 4 and 1 of 2'.  'Why can I only find 1 of 4 and 1 of 2?'  'DOG!!'
Can't blame her, it was late and she did look rather sorry for herself the next day!

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:22:50 am »
A friends Golden Retriever was very ill and off his food and gagging so was taken to the vet for an xray.

The xray showed something that the older vet couldn't recognise so called in the young male vet who immediately recognised a bra fastener.

Yes the dog had eaten a bra!!!

My bitch once ate a crab line lead weight. She had had to jump up to the garage ceiling to get it!!
We couldnt find the massive crab hook and it didnt appear on the xray either.
After being given emetics and the weight not coming up she had an operation to remove it.
She was very ill.

4 days later when grooming her I found the hook in the thick fur around her neck.

Oh and the same bitch once ate 2.5 kilos of growmore, she had pink poo for a week!

I've often found socks/paper/silver foil/hair bobbles/things I don't recognise in the poo.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:28:07 am by Jackie 2 »

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
I had a narrow escape the other day, Rohan, now 5 mths old Yellow Lad, ran into her cadge so I knew she had found some treasure, I took it off her and saw it was a tube of SUper Glue!!! Lucily I had seen her but not sure where she had found it!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS