Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Smallholder  (Read 5545 times)

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
Very Smallholder
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »
I have inherited nine assorted chickens, two guinea fowl and three ducks from the previous owner of our house.  I am very glad to say he took the four pigs away when he moved, they were friendly and the kids thought they were great, but I am a novice and my limits were far below keeping porkers!
I love my chickens, I have had an evening visit from the fox and have had to replace the cockrel and one duck disappeared while another showed up, but apart from that we are getting along fine.  They lay a very attractive and various array of eggs (plus one duck egg each day) and are a constant source of peace and pleasure for myself and the family.
I look forward to using the site  :)   x Litl Deb

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Very Smallholder
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »
Hi Deb and welcome from me. I have ducks, geese, hens, goats, ponies, dogs, a rabbit and a parrot.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »
Hi and welcome! What a nice inheritance. Where are you located?

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »
North Shropshire, the Midlands, are you from Scotland ??? Most other people seem to be on here !!  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »
Hi welcome, dont be put off having pigs they are great.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
 :wave:  Hi litl Deb

I'm in the midlands too - worcestershire/cotswolds area.  we have chickens, goats,cats,rabbits,parrot,g/pigs and a smelly little hamster (bless her!!) oh and 4 children
welcome  :)

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

Hi and welcome from another Scot, I think most of us started like you with a few hens and then just  grew bigger. Pigs are wonderful animals, I don't think that I could cope with them all year round but enjoy them till the are ready for the butcher. Then I enjoy them even more yummy :pig: :wave:
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »
Just ignore all them that say pigs are great - unless you really like pork sandwiches!

Only joking - welcome to the forum, I'm in the Wee County - the smallest and the best, with ducks and chickens, dogs and a cat
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:53 am »
Hi from another newbie - in Aberdeenshire with 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 birds of prey, 28 call ducks, 1 hen, 1 cockerel, 7 pygmy goats, 3 goat kids and 4 orphan lambs - and growing
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:37 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.   Pigs are fantastic.   :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sandy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 07:58:06 am »
Hello and welcome, how nice to have inherited your animals. I only started with a few chickens 2 years ago and wish I'd had had them throughout my life when my children were growing up, they are fun and very easy to look after, I have 14, one was killed by the female of my pair of DUcks, it looked like she shoved a bale of Straw over on top of the chicken, poor thing, I know it was the DUck as she had blood on her face and neck!!!! Otherwise I have 4 dogs and run a B&B in CLackmannan facing the Stone of Mannan, now you don't see many stones shaped like that ::)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
welcome from fife  :wave:

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:11:21 pm »
Hi from Wales :wave:
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:25 am »
Hi and welcome from Australia, we have chickens, pigs, cattle, goats, horses and a dog.  Hope you have fun with you animals and on here.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:56 am »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
How do you find the guinea fowl ? My neighbour in Aberdeen had some - lovely looking birds (if a wee bit noisy) I've always fancied some, but I would have at least 2 of everything if I could get away with it  ;)
Look forward to hearing more from you
Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS