Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody hen sitting  (Read 2264 times)

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
Broody hen sitting
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:52:03 pm »
Hi Guys, 
I have a very persistant broody hen, she has been sitting day and night for two weeks and will peck me ferociously if I try to touch her.  I have read in my small chicken book that I should remove her from the nest each day so she can feed, I don't want to upset her as I would love to get some chicks - is it really necessary to pick her up, bearing in mind the flock is very free range and are not used to being handled at all?  I think she has maybe two eggs underneath her as in my ignorance I did not recognise the signs that she was broody, I carried on collecting eggs - I have several very similar looking hens so I didn't notice that it may have been almost always her I saw hanging around the nest box.  I have not seen her off the nest at all in the two weeks so far, is there any chance she will be sucessful without intervention??

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Broody hen sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »
If you have a cockerel, then she might be. I'd still make sure she eats and drinks although she'll probably be off, stuff her face and rush back.

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »
I am having a fit of giggles now, imagining my ferocious hen "stuffing her face" !! You really think so ?  I mean if she is still fine after two weeks, she must be getting off at some point, and I havent seen any muck in the nest.  She must be a wily old bird, checks to see nobody is looking when she goes for a quick nosebag!  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:54 am »
You didn't answer Rosemary's question - you DO have a cockerel, don't you? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »
Yes, yes I do have a cockrel.  I had one to start, but he got eaten by the fox just after she started sitting, I have had mostly fertile eggs so far.  I got another cockrel who is finding his feet and gradually treading more and more birds.
Anyhoo...  Saturday afternoon I noticed some broken eggshells near her and I thought, "Ho Hum, she's cracked her egg, that's the end of that then"  I plucked up the courage to grab her off the nest and   :D  :D there was a little chick - I am so happy, I can't tell you !!!   I went to see my Man Who Knows and he gave me some good advice.  There was another chick yesterday and we have one more egg to hatch.  I have a brooding pen ready for her when she wants to leave the nest.    I can see wholeheartedly how this becomes addictive.   ::) Proud Mum

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »
That's such a nice story (apart from your first cockrel getting snaffled  :() Congratulations  ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
So he has left something behind then - three babies. ;D ;D :chook: :chook: :chook:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »
oh how lovely!
well done mrs hen, trust mother nature....
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS