Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infection after kidding  (Read 2770 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Infection after kidding
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:08 am »
2 weeks after kids were born, the mum had a bit of discharge and the vet gave her a penicillin injection on Wed.  This morning she has a bloody tail - should I wait till tomorrow or call him out today?  She is fine in herself

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Infection after kidding
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »
I have just read this on http://fiascofarm.com

Starting about a week AFTER the kidding, the mother will begin to "leak" blood and goo for about a week or more. This is normal.

Perhaps this is the reason - anyone have any comments?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:14:48 pm »
Yes, thats right, about the discharge about a week after kidding, and it lasts a few days, but clears up on its own. I assume you did not see this after around a week, or you would have called the vet then?  I suppose there is no hard and fast rule about how many days after kidding, but all mine definitely had a bloody discharge the following week.

There again, you did the right thing calling the vet if your were concerned.    If your goat is eating and drinking and seems ok, and the discharge is not smelling - I would be inclined to see how she goes on without calling the vet.  Also, you will notice, that hay and straw etc. stick to the bloodied tail, just saying this in case you go in one morning and wonder what is stuck to her tail in a big lump!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »
Goats can produce discharge, normally for up to 3 weeks after kidding. Did the vet give her a long acting antibiotic? If it was a long acting, and she had it on Wed, she should be ok. I would give it a day or so and see how she is- if she produces more maybe call him out tomorrow. If the discharge is dark and or smelly she could have an infection, which will be why the vet gave her antibiotics.

Beth

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:03:51 pm »
She had a gooey discharge about 1 week after kidding, so called the vet who checked her and said it was more than was normal and gave her a shot of long acting antibiotic.  This is definitely different - just blood.  Thanks for all your replies - it is so good to be able to ask questions, even when they seem a bit dumb!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
As it was long acting, I would leave her a couple of days and see how she goes.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:55 pm »
Both of mine still have some discharge now 2 and a half and two weeks after kidding. I was wondering if this was normal, but decided that they were eating/drinking/milking normal, no temperature etc so should be normal (it is in other animals incl humans!). And yes the straw is sticking to it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS