Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milking pigmys  (Read 2623 times)

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
milking pigmys
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:01 pm »
do any of you milk them? how much milk do they give??

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: milking pigmys
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:41:57 pm »
No, never milked my pygmy goats.  For one thing, they are tiny, with tiny teats, and I don't think they have much milk.  Of course that is not to say they cannot be milked!!  My pygmy nanny who kidded a while back, never had much milk, and I have not seen the kid take milk for weeks, although he is now 12 weeks.  He must have got enough, as he has grown well, but to be honest, I would not bother trying to milk mine.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:58 am »
If you google milking pygmy's, there are some people who do milk them, but I think mainly in America. Cannot remember why I was doing that a few months ago. Have to say I think a bit like Roxy, the amount of milk you would get would be pretty small, and then you still have to feed their kids. I suppose if their kids had been born dead you could hand milk one in order to give you milk.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20:26 am »
I remember asking about pygmy goats for milking purposes some time back and read a lot of american articles on it. this one seems quite useful http://www.sillylilpygmygoats.com/milking_pygmy_goats.html

Have just found some pygmy X Golden Guernsey goats for sale and am trying to persuade hubby its the way to go  ;)   our children can't drink cows milk due to being intollerant so we buy goats milk all the time while our field sits empty  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:25:15 am »
would you be better off milking a sheep?? but a milking sheep will propably eat the same as a miling large goat wont it???

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »
A milking sheep will probably eat about the same as a goat yes. Also, unless you get one of the specific milking breeds of sheep, remember that sheep generally have a lactation of 4 months, whilst goats can mostly milk for 2 years, and some for even longer. I know someone who is still milking his British Saanen milker and it is now 4 years since she last kidded.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS