Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: swollen udder  (Read 3164 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
swollen udder
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »
i noticed molly's udder is swollen on one side, i took her to the vet yesturday,
he managed to get some milk out( even though she has not had kids yet, is this normal)
luckly he said its not matitis.
he noticed a tiny scab like thing on the swollen part and because of this he felt he needed to give her
an injection of antibiotics- DRAXXIN.
she is eating really well, doing all what a goat does e.g. play, sit down chewing on the cud etc.
does anyone know what might be the cause of this swollen udder.
any comments app
langdon  ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: swollen udder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:01:48 pm »
Langdon,

Goats can sometimes come into milk without actually having kids. This is sometimes called being a maiden milker. This time of year is key for it, as the days are getting longer, and grass is getter sweet, and branches have more goodness in them now. I wouldn't start milking her, unless her udder gets really tight, or fells hot to the touch. If she does start producing some milk, you can start milking her. But be aware you will need to dry her up again before she has kids or it will be a big drain on her calcuim levels.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »
thanks beth for a reply ;)
im more concerned about the fact that only one side of the udder is swollen,
im thinking please correct me if im wrong but when a goat is in milk wont the whole udder
be equal in size, not as it is now?
as said beth please forgive me for not been excited about the chance of been able to milk her now,
im concerned about the udder.
as said the vet did give her draxxin.
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:09:47 pm »
I've not heard of Draxxin before so not sure what it does. A goat's udder is normally even on both sides, but it can lopsided, and if they are dry and coming into milk because it is spring and they are getting more food, then it can be one side that comes up only.

I would keep a close eye on it Langdon.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:41 pm »
ya will do, im going to ring vet if swelling doesnt reduce in a week or so,
she is behaving as a goat normally does, so at least she is not in pain with it,
its not hot to touch.
thanks again beth ;)  :goat:
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS