Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausages  (Read 4856 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Sausages
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:17:48 am »
Hi all,

Following the Good Times thread and thanks to HilarysMum I would like some 'handholidng' about making sausages? i was going to get my butcher to knock up some traditional sausages, but if i can experiment with my own recipes then i am going to very very happy. Fear not i do not intend to be the next Heston Blumenthal and make ice cream, creosote and grass cuttings sausages, but something like chilli, sun dried tomato and herbs does have me starting to dribble again..........

Any advice apprecaited, like quantities, do you get the butcher to do some minced pork, how coarse should it be, do you add rusk etc etc. do you make a quantity and just do some meatballs and cook as you go?

Hmmmmmmm the BBQ is coming out this weekend, may be a good excuse for some experimenting

thanks for all replies  :pig: :yum:

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:43:23 am »
Here is a link with about 100 different recipes. I have made about 6 or 7 of them and enjoyed everyone.
thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

enjoy and let us know how you get on.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:54:51 am »
Thanks for that will have a look at lunchtime.

Also had a look ebay at some sausage making machines, there is one for £29.00 aimed at kids but comes with everything you need has naybody looked at these?

also what about sausage casings? what do you get, and where from?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31:28 am »
There are a few companies that supply small amounts of casings etc. such as Weschenfelder and Sausagemaking.org. or if you have a local butcher shop they may sell you some. There are either natural casings which are basically cleaned sheep or pig intestines kept in salt or collagen casings which come in a variety of thickness 21 or 23mm casings will give 12-16 sausages to a lb. 26-28mm casings will give 8 sausage to a lb.

I have never used anything like the machine on ebay but like all things you get what you pay for, if you are not making many sausages at a time it may be ok but if you were wanting to process a reasonable amount I don't think it would cope and would take a very long time.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »
We've got an attachment for the Kenwood, which works quite well for small amounts ie household amounts.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:43 pm »
If you look in recipes and what to do with the rest of the pig I have posted several recipes and tips :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 06:40:13 pm »
Hi,

We bought this sausage filler from http://www2.westfalia.net/  item number 754630. Its only £39.99, we have used it loads, its really easy to use and the sausages are amazing.

Debbie

www.rosecroftrarebreeds.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »
Try here  for various recipes

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS