Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pork next month  (Read 7274 times)

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
Re: pork next month
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:30 pm »
Hubby slaughters and butchers ours at home as there's no slaughterhouse anywhere near us, he's self taught so it may not be exactly the way a trained butcher would do it but it works for us.

The nasty bits get burnt outside and other parts that we don't use, but some will, are taken away by our neighbour who has given us meat from the cows he's slaughtered in exchange.

Must point out that the rules here on pig keeping etc do seem very different - most Bulgarians keep animals for meat.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:39:07 am »
do you need papers or anything to offical saying you can do it at home? :pig:
langdon
Langdon ;)

chickenfeed

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:10 am »
 :) i think i am right in saying home slaughtered meat can only be eaten by the owners of the animals,unless it is killed by a licenced slaughterman and farm is registered for processing meat. and a injured animal visited and shot by the vet needs a yellow card for the slaughter house to deal with the carcase but animals with a yellow card can only be eaten by the owner :o nothing in farming is straight forward any more just confussing.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 02:06:37 pm »
If you go for home slaughter as much for your own sake as the pig's make sure the slaughterer is a) VERY experienced and b) uses a humane slaughterer.  Dont take excuses.  Its not a pleasant sight or sound if done wrongly.  The adrenalin ruins the meat, the noise is horrendous and the sight in badly executed (sorry no pun intended) cases is nightmarish.

A good slaughterman / house is worth its weight.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 02:45:03 pm »
as said before i aint going to do the slaughter myself, will send them of for that.
i was asking out of coursity thats all.
i would love to cut up my own carcass myself and am getting cutting lessons from
my mate who gave us the pigs, as he breeds them on his own farm and has got his own farm shop on site
langdon  ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:47 am »
Sorry to deflate anyones opinion of hugh but he has no farm its all for tv/MONEY I have met him many times (slaughtering his stock) he isnt what he portrays
and I'd imagine the vast majority of axminster would agree!! His pig dvd is good though.

Farmer Pete

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »
Hi

I got 2 pigs several months ago and was determined to do the whole thing myself with some helping hands.
Mobile slaughter man did both pigs with zero, and I mean ZERO stress, it was amazing. I helped out with the whole process. See if you can find a mobile slaughter chap near you.
Then, back of the car, mate's chiller for 2 days then myself and the children (10,8 & 6) all chopped them up on the kitchen table with the help of another 'butcher' mate (who I gave a bottle of malt to for his troubles). I then delivered the meat in bags to my 'customers' and the most recent pork roasts have been a major source of discussion down the pub. Oh boy the crackling!!!!
You will love it.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »

I then delivered the meat in bags to my 'customers' and the most recent pork roasts have been a major source of discussion down the pub.
Not criticising, but if you are handing out pork from pigs killed at home, please be very, very careful.  If caught the fines can be horrendous.  Its a case of public health, which the authorities are very heavy on.  It matters not a jot that you have not taken money for the meat.

Farmer Pete

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
when I say killed at home, I used a fully licensed and qualified mobile slaughter man instead of going to the abattoir. That's OK isn't it????

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »
Hi
we sent our girls in nov to the abatior then got them back in a cold store van- HFW's DVD talked us through the main bits and we experimented with the rest- (really really frustrated that they didn't do a close up of how to tie sausages into 3 link chains but we managed 2 fine and dandy)
 investment in the mincer and sausage maker def worth it- I will never, never buy any sausages again!
pigs turned into roasting and ham joints, cured for bacon and the rest minced for sausages- family activity with lots of trials to get the recipes right.
We just finished the last of our sausages last week -favourites were garlic and chilli and pork and chive.
when we finished the pack-my 8 year old daughter exclaimed- 'quick mummy- go and buy some pigs and feed them up- we need to make more'- never thought I'd hear that from one of my kids- beats- lets go to the supermarket every time!!!
it was daunting when faced with the carcases-where do you start but soon got the hang of it- I guess its like everything with this smallholder m'larky- its a fast learning curve but boy is it a great ride!
Lynne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS