Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring 12 week old Saddleback - advice please for a new pig keeper!  (Read 4058 times)

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
Hi Pigkeepers!
I'm fairly new to pig keeping and I'm hoping for some advice for my 12 week old saddleback who is scouring. She (Bertha) is eating and drinking fine and gets on well with her brother and sister. She is bright and alert and is getting used to her new home and me - but her droppings are always fairly runny, more like a cow pat, with quite a smell to them but they are always brown. Her brother and sister are both fine with solid droppings and have never shown any sign of scouring but poor Bertha, this morning it seemed to run down her tail without her noticing. But this afternoon they seemed more solid and she lifted her tail to poop.

Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to worry? Should I call the vet to take a look or should it clear up on its own?

Thank you!
Helen  :pig: :chook:

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
Re: Scouring 12 week old Saddleback - advice please for a new pig keeper!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »
Are they indoors or out? Have you changed theyre feed? What feed do you give them?

Gary

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:05:34 pm »
Are they having milk or milk products?

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »
Hi,

They sleep in a big stable with an outdoor area that is half concrete half mud. They eat Wynnstay Supabreed nuts 16% protein. I bought a bag of the food they were being fed when I picked them up and fed them this and gradually mixed in the new nuts. They haven't had any milk products. She seems to be gaining weight ok...just judging by eye against her brother & sister.

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
Milk causes one of ours to scour even now at 9 months old.  Personally, and I know I am spending your money, but would call the vet for peace of mind.  Although one last thought has she been wormed? 

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »
Thanks Hilarysmum,
I was told they had all been wormed when I picked them up, is it worth me worming her again? I think you are right though, I think I'll have to call the vet soon. Today her scours were better than yesterday morning, but still not firming up like her brother and sisters.
Thanks for your advice.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:27:30 am »
Hi hope things are improving now.  Sadly where there is l ivestock there are vets bills.   :'(

pigs n chickens

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:38:21 pm »
Well good news folks, Bertha is much improved and with no sign of scouring for the last few days! I started putting a few clods of earth and grass in for them just before Easter and I dont know if this has helped or not but I'm happy to report she is much better. I was going to phone the vet after Easter if things were still bad but hopefully she on the road to recovery. I'll be keeping a keen eye on her though and I still have the vets number to hand!

Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »
also deadstock :(
Langdon ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »
langdon so true.  Especially with sheep involved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS