Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self Germinating fruit trees  (Read 5297 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Self Germinating fruit trees
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:32 pm »
Hi
OK -really stupid question, but I have been reading the thread below that mentions self pollinating trees. So, can someone explain to me how this works - I understand germination but didnt realise I might need 2 trees to pollinate each other?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Self Germinating fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:05 pm »
I would think grafting seperate trees onto one trunk maybe involved.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:26 pm »
Do you mean self pollinating? Some varieties of apple trees are self pollinating whereas others need a separate pollinator. This can be another variety which flowers roughly at the same time enabling cross pollination between the two varieties. Apple trees can be divided into four flowering season groups.  Depends on the variety you have. hope that helps. which variety do you have?
JD 

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »
Thanks JD - that makes sense. Thats the problem with trying to deal with kids, watch TV and read forums at the same time   :D

I dont have any yet, but was thinking of getting a pear tree and an apple tree - we already have a cooking apple tree and 2 plums in the garden. Hence my confusion - not knowing much about pollination at all, the cooking apple tree we have produces masses of apples, and its all on its lonesome, so couldnt see why I would need 2 to pollinate each other - if you see what I mean. If we go to buy an eating apple tree, do they state self-pollinating on them, and whats a good juicy sweet type to get?

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »
Just reading that back and confusing myself - I think I will go and look up pollination and renew my school level education in the subject.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »
It should be on the label and  will either say self pollinating or pollinating group A, B, C or D. A pollinating partner is one which is in the same group or the group on either side. There could be other pollinators in neighbouring gardens. The type you should buy depends mainly on which part of the country you are in. I am in Scotland so I would buy one that is either a late flowerer ie when frosts are past or one which is tolerant of a late frost. Pears are similar. A good book is The Fruit Expert by Dr D. G. Hessayon.
JD   

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
I agree you can't go wrong with the fruit expert. Quite often a tree that says self pollonating would get better results with another tree that flowers at the same time. It may be that someone else near you has a tree that helps your apple tree along. If you buy a tree with a pollonating number on it you can generally go one number either side, so a group 3 can pollonate with a group 2 or 4 as one starts to flower as another finishes. Hope that mekes sense, Helen

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »
Just realised JD said most of that oops! Please excuse, the wine is good tonight!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS