Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recycling at its best  (Read 3069 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Recycling at its best
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »
Having bought new galvanised metal dog run panels when I moved here thinking the old ones would be a nightmare to dismantle and take 150 miles south, I then forgot about them till the kind young man who bought my house unbolted them all and asked if i wantged them. My also kind son took them down here on a borrowed trailer, then added them to those he and his brother in law had built for me here and found there were a few left over including a gate.  He set them up in a sunny spot attached to my 6ft fence and said they do as another spare run for visitors.   Hmmm, Mum has other ideas! ??? ???

Run panels, 6ft high, of weldmesh 2 inch square lets birds through, but I can stand upright in it.  Covered in the bits of net lying around the garden, and a new net for £4 for the roof, and BINGO - I have a fruit cage ;) ;D ;D

And that's not the only recycling - 2 builders dumpy bags left over from building the conservatory, plus a gift of another two from son, and I have four ready made raised beds.  An old tarp retrieved from behind the garage when the new runs were going up provides the floor, so no need for planks or muddy feet.  Filled the bags with soiled straw from the chickens and duck sheds, left to sink from the weather, the spoil heap of soil from the conservatory piled in on top, then a thick layer of PayLess compost, and they are ready.  Dug out the rasp, blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes from their overgrown makeshift bed in the front garden, and replanted in their new homes. You could almost hear the squeals of delight as they sank their toes - sorry roots - into the ground.  I can see buds appearing already.  Not only that No 1 Son has brought it two bags of ready chtted potatoes for me so that's tomorrow's job, weather permitting.  It's been lovely outside today and enjoyed relocating some strawberry plants this afternoon.  Roll on Summer ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
Re: Recycling at its best
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »
What a clever idea!  :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Recycling at its best
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:25:00 pm »
Thank you1  Have also bought Payless compost cubes from focus for £1.29 each and relocated the last three rasp plants from the temporary border at the front.  Next job is to use the fence posts we also found down the back of the garage to make a fence across the front garden, so I'll have a separate paddock for the ducks and chickens so they don't get my fruit and veg.  Have loads of shrubs at the top of the front garden so will try to get rooted cuttings (Irish ones  ;)) and use them along the new fence
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS