Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I've just bought a pear tree!  (Read 8749 times)

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
Re: I've just bought a pear tree!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:33 am »
I have had my cherry tree for 6 years, each year I get so excited about the increasing number of cherries, then the birds get them :'(, once all the fruit trees start producing we are going to put a large net up like they do in the commercial orchards, hopefully that will fix them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 10:34:48 pm »
Our fruit trees are covered in blossom. Not many bees around though  :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:28 am »
no, here neither. Just a ,lot of bumble bees and a frightening amount of queen wasps... :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:39 am »
Just a comment upon my observations The Head Gardener has some poly-net its sort of 1/2" squares Which the gardeners drape over the cherry trees and the soft fruit bushes He also drapes it over the peach trees growing up the North Wall The Blackbirds get the odd ones but not many He claims there wouldn't be any if he didn't get it done I asked him how they did it in Victorian Times he said the boy would walk around and make a lot of noise with his clapper or what we now call a football rattle both were used.Unfortunately I never asked Tom what the variety is called but there is a dozen or more pear trees growing along the West Wall and I have never bought any as juicy or tasty as the pears that grow on those trees and absolutely laden with fruit.I will ask him if they are fed with anything next time I see him.He says they are dessert pears and will not keep long at all
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:03 am »
how lovely! I'm not a big fan of the rock hard and tasteless conferrence which seems so popular. dessert pears are great for bottling in syrup or you can cook them and freeze for one of so many recipes (the ones with choc sauce...). Let's change the subject  ::) :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
To true NFD yerv gone an dun it. I've sent er' upstairs to fetch a bottle I'll ev sum wi me lunch.When am feelin like it.In the double boiler put sum choc Belgium dark is best and melt it thick then stick a fork in a pear 1/4 and dip it in the thick choc its also very nice with the tart sort of strawberries You can also wet a plate and use a couple of tooth picks and let the choc reset.Giower I shall git nowt done safnoon ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS