Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best electric fencing  (Read 1860 times)

CrispinCottage

• Joined Jul 2015
Best electric fencing
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:13:06 pm »
Hi all,
We lost our first ever chicken today, presumably to Mr Fox. Our girls have the freedom of an acre of land and when i popped up this evening to put them in for the night I noticed one was missing (they ALWAYS stick together). I went for a walk about and eventually came across a small pile of feathers. I can't see it being anything else.
So, I need to up my game. As you can imagine I feel truly awful and somewhat responsible. What is a good package for electric fencing? They have a large 10 x 10 meter run with a netted roof but I obviously now want a first line of defence.
I'd appreciate any help!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Best electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:13:10 am »
If you are looking to electrify an acre, I would say polywire is the best choice. Use wooden stakes on the corners to keep tension and then you can infill with plastic ones which can be used elsewhere in the future. 5 strands of polywire should keep most things out. You will probably need to strim and generally maintain it though to stop it shorting on growing grass. I personally wouldn't try to do an acre with electric netting unless you have plenty of time to maintain it.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Best electric fencing
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
mole valley do a pack with netting, energizer etc all complete. You could give them a pen and move it regularly to keep the ground fresh. Sorry about the hen. :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS