Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adapting a pick up hard top for geese  (Read 4066 times)

sophie

• Joined May 2013
Adapting a pick up hard top for geese
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:20:00 am »
Hi
I have a pick up canopy and I want to use it as a moveable goose hut. We have about 12  geese, so may need to get another one. We keep the geese to keep the grass down inside the fruit orchard but the hut they are in now takes too much cleaning out, and they also have to change fields due to the footpath.
The canopy is large but maybe not tall enough. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to make it taller but still retain its moveable quality. It needs to last and not look too shanty town! 
Any ideas would be great.
Kind regards
Sophie

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Re: Adapting a pick up hard top for geese
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »
Hi,

I used the same set up last year. I made a frame using s/hand T&G floor boards and 2x2 timber to lift it off the ground for head room, you will need a threshold to hold it all together where the door will be. Put an old wheelbarrow wheel  at one end (not the door end) that you can flip down and lock in place then two handles by the door and that's it you can push it where ever you want.

P.S. you must make a door.

Dave

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:32:32 am »
Thank Dave that's great. Good idea about the wheelbarrow wheel. Will need to think about how I would attach it. You don't happen to have any pictures do you?
Many thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »
You could stand on railway sleepers to give height.

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »
I have sleepers, but I wanted it to be easy to move.

Bogtrotter

• Joined Apr 2015
  • On the levels
  • Caution: May spontaneously talk rabbits.....again
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:03:51 pm »
Whereabouts are you Sophie? I have discovered 2 of these at my new place and would love it if someone could use them rather than me take em to the tip :thumbsup:
Sheep are like the Borg, a collective hive mind and resistance is futile.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:25:24 pm »
Any poultry house needs a solid floor - badgers and foxes are good at burrowing into houses with no floor....

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:16:17 pm »
Sorry for delay
I am based in North Derbyshire in the Peak District, just outside Sheffield. I am planning to peg it to the floor and know what your saying about a floor. We have a shoot near us that helps but we do have lots of badgers on our top land. Non have caused any issue yet, but I've just jinxed it!! May have to put a mesh floor on. Thanks for the tip.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 08:01:29 am »
I migt have picked up a pickup canopy, how high should I make it for use with geese?
Is it beat to have it completely dark inside, or will they want a bit of light?

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:11 am »
I use an old Series LandRover hard top as an open field shelter is our geese field (it's only 15x25m and we have chickens ducks and geese in there).  It's high enough for geese so maybe look out for 1 of those.

Another good one if you have 2 or 3 geese, as we have, is a wooden that marble and stone is delivered in.  Try your local tile centre of high end kitchen/bathroom stone retainer.  It's quite easy to turn one into a strong goose house.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 07:04:24 am »
The canopy I'm getting is a 'Truckman' off a Mitsubishi. Hoping it will be suitable for the 6 geese that are arriving next month. I'll need to add walls and a floor though, as I think it'll be too low.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:47 am »
Have now taken delivery of the canopy- it's 75cm high, 230cm long, and about 150cm wide.
How much higher should I make it?

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »
Here's the finished article, cost about £25 in materials (pickup top was free) and took an afternoon to build. Movable by two people, and the five geese seem pretty happy with it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS