Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey on antibiotics - another one is fading away  (Read 10036 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Turkey on antibiotics
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »
sorry to hear this Buffy. You can only do your best  :fc:
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »
You're a long way from me but I hope to have Narragansett eggs for sale next year.  Those that I set under my own turkey hens had a 96% hatch rate this year.  We've sold breeding groups to farms in Somerset and Pembrokeshire this year but nothing in your direction.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 08:33:14 pm »
Thanks Marches,

I repaired my RCOM Suro this year with a few spare parts that Womble kindly sent me but I'm still not 100% convinced that its working properly. I need to try it out next year with some of my chickens eggs to be sure before I risk some turkey eggs. I suspect it may have some cool spots.

Do turkey eggs travel well in the post?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »
Well my sweet little turkey girl came to the end of her 5 day course of antibiotic on Sunday but I gave her another dose yesterday as she was still hunched and fragile. Today however she is fading and hasnt the energy to join the others.

If nature hasnt taken its course by the time OH gets home I think the kindest thing would be to dispatch her.

Thanks for all your comments and kind wishes.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:29 am »

Do turkey eggs travel well in the post?
My sister has bought several lots of hatching eggs, from ebay, that were well packed and posted from various sources, the best hatch was 2 eggs out of 6. The ones that didn't hatch appeared not to be fertile, but it seems unlikely that they were all poor quality eggs, so I can only assume it was their treatment in transit that was less than ideal. :thinking:
In conclusion - the eggs  travelled very well.
                       - but they didn't hatch. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:26 am »
Thanks LLR,

my turkey hen died yesterday so now my little turkey pals have reduced down to 5. I put the little hens body on the bonfire of hedge cuttings and the other turkeys settled down beside it to enjoy the heat. I will continue raising them and see how they develop and in the mean time look out for some good breeding stock / breeders at the rare breed auction.

Perhaps if I find a local breeder I can collect the eggs which might improve viability. I'm just mot massively confident in my incy at present so hatched chicks would be my preferred option.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 06:34:24 pm »
Im very sorry to hear that Buffy. You did your best
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 06:45:18 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  I only post eggs by next day delivery when I know it's going to be cool weather.  I know of several turkey breeders that have had problems with fertility and hatchability this year - I don't think turkeys appreciate humid-cold-cold-cold-humid weather in cycles.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 07:34:23 pm »
Thanks everyone.

:)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Turkey on antibiotics - another one is fading away
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 10:25:06 am »
There are two males in my little flock, the younger of the two is slipping away. He isnt hot and I havent given him aunti -B but he is producing bright yellow poo with lots of water content. Its clearly something to do with their livers but this one has been more rapid and I think he will struggle to last the day.

Just like the last one that died he eats and drinks and has tried to keep up with the others but he is resting in a straw bed in the coop now poor lad.

I'm a bit more philosophical about this one but still sad and disappointed that they have been taken ill. I dont think its blackhead as they have been wormed along with the chickens  but perhaps it could be to do with not giving them medicated crumb? If it was a cocci type infection though I would have expected it to get hold of them much sooner. This has come on since they have been out and about but after they have been wormed. ???

I suspect that it is a congenital weakness from poor breeding but I would only know for sure if I paid for a pm. lf these birds were part of my own established breeding flock I would want to get to the bottom of it but as I wont be breeding from them I dont see much point paying the vet to cut them up. At this rate I wont be eating them either.

:(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:51 pm »
The Suro needs to be used in a room at about 25C Buffy, to avoid cold spots and very late hatches. The alternative is to run it in a large heated box. We've given up incubating in ours and now use it covered in bubble wrap as a hatcher only- the cradle motor failed anyway.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »
Worming helps but doesn't fully protect against blackhead, it reduces the infection rate but doesn't kill the histomonas organism, and the eggs can also live in the soil (though for less long) and earthworms. And the symptoms you describe are very much like blackhead.

Why don't you have a look inside if you don't want to pay a vet? Or if you rather not do it personally, maybe someone you know who's processed poultry? You won't be able to miss the liver, it's a large organ, and there are lots of photographs online to compare with.
I've taken a body to the RVC before for post mortum and it was free.

Good luck, I hope he does pull through or that at least the others will be fine.  :fc:  This must be hard, I found my turkeys incredibly friendly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »
Cocci can hit growers as well as very young poults.  The Autumn weather often highlights weaknesses in all classes of birds and livestock.  We don't hatch any poultry after the end of July as, on our windy hilltop, I prefer the birds to be really well grown and robust before Winter sets in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS