Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds in fields  (Read 10034 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Weeds in fields
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »
I have 11 acres which are grazed by sheep.I manage to control the  nettles and thistles with hand held application of pasture occasionally.
Had a visit from rural payment agency last year who warned me about spraying licence.So I have stocked up on pasture and sadly resolved to downsize.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 10:41:01 am »
I spent the weekend clearing thistles etc by hand and am now looking at getting a scythe to help the control.  When I read the City & Guilds material on the link given (http://www.nptc.org.uk/qualificationschemes.aspx?id=2), it seemed to imply that you only needed a certificate to spray for commercial purposes.  Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Thanks,
Mickey

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 11:15:13 am »
I spent the weekend clearing thistles etc by hand and am now looking at getting a scythe to help the control.  When I read the City & Guilds material on the link given (http://www.nptc.org.uk/qualificationschemes.aspx?id=2), it seemed to imply that you only needed a certificate to spray for commercial purposes.  Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Thanks,
Mickey
At the moment yes, you have what is called 'Grandfather rights' to use herbicides and pesticides for your own purposes and on your own land. However these rights are due to expire this November (? correct me if I'm wrong).

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »
Thanks for that

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 08:52:57 pm »
......At the moment yes, you have what is called 'Grandfather rights' to use herbicides and pesticides for your own purposes and on your own land. However these rights are due to expire this November (? correct me if I'm wrong).
You are quite correct - Grandfather Rights end this November. 
In theory after this point if you want to spray, you need to have a spray certificate - PA1 theory + PA whatever - depends on your requirements.  PA6 is knapsack, PA2 is tractor mounted.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 09:18:31 am »
Thanks for that, I was struggling to see the wood for the trees amongst the long list of possible certificates. 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 12:15:36 am »
As far as I know - there are new regulations for loads of things coming in from the EU that makes you buy the EU regulated and sponsored products in the  future.  Its kind of a free market but captive market.

Hell they have bigger nets - bugger it.

If you have a smallholding - pull it out by hand - if you have a farm, you need chems help.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 03:45:36 pm »
We spent 5 years resisting the chemicals route pulling up thistles nettles and docks and scything much of our steep land. Thus year we gave in and bought a knapsack and some grazon 90. Fab on the nettles and docks but the thistles may take longer. Pa cert courses are anywhere between 250 and 400 pound. Technically from Nov no one should sell herbicide  to anyone without the necessary  qual. I guess some will be more fastidious than others as is always the case

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »
......Pa cert courses are anywhere between 250 and 400 pound......
And the rest!
Saw PA courses advertised in our local paper yesterday:
-PA1 'Safe use of Pesticides' (training & assessment) £200.00
-PA6 'Hand held Sprayer' aka knapsack's (training & assessment) £290.00
-PA2 'Tractor mounted sprayer' (training & assessment) £345.00

PA1 has to be done by everyone - its the theory side of things but once done that's it.  Once you have PA1 you can then do as many of the other PA certificates as you like.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS