Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting tops of blackthorn hedges  (Read 6334 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Cutting tops of blackthorn hedges
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:17:36 pm »
I like to keep my hedges in good state...and regularly have them cut each year.My fields are stock fenced which I rent out for sheep grazing.The hedges are very old..mainly blackthorn.The fields are small so lots of hedges.
I like to keep them neat as it also gives me a good view of surrounding countryside.
However MOD are now building a 18m high warehouse 200 metres from my house.I have known about this for a year so last year I opted just to have the sides of the hedges cut.I was going to do this again this year...but my neighbour says if I dont cut the tops...the hedges will go into holes at the bottom.The Mod are planting 130 trees and building a 4m bund..but it will take years to landscape it properly.
Should I sacrifice the state of my hedges for bit more privacy?

Victorian Farmer

Re: Cutting tops of blackthorn hedges
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
Build a wall of conifers and trim when you're happey

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:56:05 pm »
Any planting of trees would require fencing to protect from sheep and I begrudge loosing the grazing land and the hassle of fencing.
The best privacy is offered by a few holly trees I have but holly is so slow growing....I also have some 12 30 year oak trees which help.....some 30 year old ash trees which will die at some stage and a very old oak tree which has been hit by lightening.
But trees especially evergreen take years and years to provide any screening

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:16:33 pm »
When you say privacy, can people actually see you from the warehouse, or is it that you can see the warehouse, which is an intrusion? 

18 metres is a giant, more than 50 feet, nearly 60'.  That's a hangar  :o Whatever's the MOD using it for?  I don't think a few trees are going to make much difference to you seeing it.  You can work out, using a bit of trigonometry, how high a hedge planted close to your house would need to be to obscure the new building from your view.  The closer to your house, or wherever you don't want to see it from, the shorter the hedge can be.

The quickest growing trees are poplar and willows such as goat willow, which have the advantage of being useable as fire wood once you no longer need them as a screen

For the blackthorn, hateful stuff that it is, you are best to cut it a bit, say a foot above this year's growth, then the same next year, so it stays bushy at the top.  I suppose it could get scraggy at the bottom, in which case the hedge would need to be laid, but that's likely to be a good few years down the line, and by then all the other plantings should be quite big.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:43:07 pm »
The mod are centralising their warehouse operations.My bad luck that they have opted for a 50 acre field next to my fields. (and my bad luck because they paid 2 million pounds to the farmer but dont want mine)
The hedges do provide some shelter to the sheep...so want to try and keep them thick at the bottom.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 07:36:09 am »
Trim your hedges and turn your back to the new building!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:40:06 am »
I have a holly hedge for awindbreak down the side os the garden, once it gets growing it does grow fast.
ood for birds to nest in, and shelter in winter as well

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 07:50:41 am »
Just let your existing blackthorn hedge grow skywards.  It will take years to go thin in the bottom, at which point you can lay.every other plant, thickening the bottom and keeping height. Realistically I don't think it will happen because blackthorn self seeds like crazy and there's always new plants coming in the bottom.

Just keep cutting the sides as you have been.  Nothing will give you height quicker.  If you plant something fast growing it will take a couple of years to establish itself before the growth rate really kicks in.  Your blackthorn is established and I'm guessing already about 6ft high so has a massive head start.

Let it grow, let it grow !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:41:19 am »
Just let your existing blackthorn hedge grow skywards.  It will take years to go thin in the bottom, at which point you can lay.every other plant, thickening the bottom and keeping height. Realistically I don't think it will happen because blackthorn self seeds like crazy and there's always new plants coming in the bottom.
....and two metres into the field!  One of our hedges has been allowed to grow for the last five years, with a view to getting it laid and is now about 4.5 metres high.  I suggest planting an eye-catching tree(s) between your house and the hangar.  We were in this situation a few years ago and planted a Korean pine but you could plant something faster growing, like one of the birches.  It'll make you focus on the tree, not the building in the background

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »
You missed a bit....keep cutting the sides.

Then in 5 - 10 years time when the MOD planting has matured, cut or lay your hedge back down again.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:13:25 pm by stufe35 »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:07:30 pm »
Thanks for your advice..there is a fund set up by the developer that I can claim to plant trees...I am relectant to do this as I will loose grazing land and will have to fence trees off from sheep.I already have a lot of mature trees and do not see why I should have to landscape by planting trees on my land to landscape their warehouse.They are busy trying to catch giant crested newts at the moment.The warehouse is expected to be built in the next 12 months

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS