Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Killing humanely  (Read 22453 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Killing humanely
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 02:48:42 pm »
Apparently the brain is still active for too long after decapitation for it to be regarded as humane...

No I don't get that one either!  :innocent:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 02:49:03 pm »
The issue with decapitation is that apparently the brain can remain active for up to 30 seconds. So, in theory, the bird could be aware of what has just happened and still feel pain / distress. The one thing in it's favour is that it's job done and there is no chance of recovery or indeed, excessive suffering from a botched job. Neck pulling avoids this as the base of the brain is immediately (in theory) destroyed. But that's if you do it right. I've had too many second goes to like it any more.

There are many reports of people's removed heads looking around and blinking when that was a common punishment.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 06:24:10 pm »
Poultry one is here, £105

http://www.fgclassified.com/112855-the-brno-gun-uk-new-poultry-stunner/details.html

Has anybody here used this device?
I ordered one after seeing it on here - now that it has arrived it looks quite flimsy and makes me worried it might not work. Grateful to hear from anyone who has used this particular device (admittedly much cheaper than anything similar, but maybe you get what you pay for...)

The pin is very narrow and pointy - less that 5mm - would that not make accurate placement difficult?
Also the trigger is quite hard to press - maybe to be expected in a spring loaded device, but that means that the barrel may move a bit when you trigger, which again would possibly affect the correct placement?

I need to dispatch our first patch of surplus cockerels asap, but it will be my first time and I'm terrified of getting it wrong... I have considered the broomstick method, but terrified of getting that wrong too... figured a stummer would be more fail-safe, but now that I have the device I'm not sure sure anymore.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS