Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Killing humanely  (Read 22416 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Killing humanely
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:16:49 pm »
Last night I did some of my Copper Marans boys. They are big birds and although I have been properly trained to do neck dislocation and am a fairly big bloke, I sometimes feel that it hasn't gone as quickly as I hoped. Referring to the HSA website, I see they now don't really like this idea any more.

I want the very best end for my birds and grim as it may sound, total instantaneous brain destruction has to be the best way to go. I was thinking a silenced .410 or something. I've looked into all the stunning stuff and it seems a bit of a closed loop for the DIYer.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Killing humanely
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
I use Semark pliers - sit down, hold the bird gently with the wings firmly secured under your elbow, then use the pliers. 

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:51:55 pm »
Pliers would definitely be regarded as non humane.

Manual neck dislocation is now regarded as an emergency procedure only and going by EU regulations should not be performed on birds above 3kg live weight.

Broomstick and cone neck dislocation are allowed on birds up to 5kg live weight.

Electrical stunning is the preferred EU method but it's not practical for most smallholders from a financial perspective.

I use an air pistol or air rifle to cull most of my livestock now, from rabbits to large turkeys.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:38:38 pm »
Thanks. I started out with an air rifle but was never confident I had achieved a clean brain shot. I did search for images of chicken anatomy but couldn't find one!  Do you use a cone to keep the bird steady or get someone else to pull the trigger? A captive bolt stunner would be good but I can't get any of the manufacturers to talk to me, never mind sell me one.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:52:45 pm »
Stereo, I saw a number of captive bolt guns in the catalogue of a gun auction recently. I assume they need a firearms license though, since that was one of the categories I could have ticked when I applied for mine.

I take it you were talking about a .410 shotgun?  I had no idea you could silence one of them.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:13:23 pm »
I saw them being killed on kill it, cook it, eat it. They put them in a cone and used a hand stunner either side of the head and then slit their throats, you would have to look it up on youtube though. In a commercial abbatoir they hang them upside down and pass their heads through an electrified bath of water, CAUTION DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME EVER!!!!!, and then they pass through rotating blades which chop off the heads. Sorry this subject makes me queasy :-[
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »
On the subject of captive bolt guns.....there is one you can get on an air rifle licence. I found it via google a few months back.
I'll try and find a link on the laptop later and post it for you  ;)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 06:52:15 pm »
Yes, you can silence a .410. Apparently used as an assassin's weapon during WW2! Nice. I'm not bothered about getting an FAC, was thinking of getting a .22LR for rabbits and crows anyway so could add that on. It's not a nice subject but we have to be practical if we want to eat meat and not just leave it to someone else. I'm happy to do the deed and feel I need to be able to if I'm going to eat meat. I just want it to be instant lights out for the animal in a clam and relaxed environment every single time (emergency injury aside).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:57:23 pm »
Having seen a neighbour "kill" a rabit with myxy with a .410 then have it run off and find it still alive and bleeding under a hedge two hours later I think skill must come into the equation somewhere along the line ....?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
Being entirely practical about this then, if you're going to be granted a .22lr, I'm sure you'd be given a slot for a captive bolt gun as well, given its somewhat shorter lethal range!

I'm still waiting for my certificate to come through (I could have had a small human being manufactured and delivered in less time  :innocent:), but I made sure the officer ticked the box for humane slaughter of livestock as well as pest control, though this would only be an emergency measure for me.

Personally I'm quite happy with the broomstick method for cockerel and turkeys, but geese are trickier. Usually a shot from the air rifle is enough, but I'll confess it did go wrong once and needed three shots before I was sure. Don't jump on me for that one - I still shudder when I think of it  :-[.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:11:26 pm »
I know, I had a 3 shotter with the airgun once which is why I went on the course. I'm happy to spend out on kit, just want the means to do it in the best way and within the law.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 11:00:26 pm »
Captive bolt stunners don't require a firearm certificate, anyone over 18 can buy and use one.

Brno guns do a spring loaded poultry/rabbit stunner Stereo but its over £100, I'll post a link to them tomorrow when I get on the pc.

I shoot mine with an air pistol now for ease of use, the turkeys I do at night when its dark using a small light, I bring them outside and just do it as they're sitting there. Big cockerels etc I hold by the feet with one hand and lay them on their front, shoot them down behind the rear of the comb

I just aim straight down through the top of the head probably just behind the eyes, never had one not die instantly.

If they flap I wait till the worst of it is over then dislocate the neck by hand, takes all the pressure off doing them whilst still alive!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:19:31 pm by Clansman »

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 11:22:21 pm »
I bought a captive bolt gun from www.acclesandshelvoke.co.uk/ [/size]It cost a bomb (about £600) but I was not confident with other methods and we have geese to do as well as chickens. A cone is essential for the geese as they are very strong when their wings flap. [/size]You may be able to get a used bolt gun but check it carefully. As has been said no license is needed. The bolt for chickens and geese/turkeys is different (the turkey one is pointy, the other flat). You can hold the beak with one hand and position the muzzle against the skull [/size]with the other. It is very effective although we have found that the thick rose comb on our Wyandottes can cause just a stun so we have to position the bolt just behind the comb on these. Always immediately slit the throat as a back up.
[/size]
[/size]Helen

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:53 am »
Poultry one is here, £105

http://www.fgclassified.com/112855-the-brno-gun-uk-new-poultry-stunner/details.html

This is the website:

http://captiveboltstunners.com

I have the larger one for cattle etc
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:22:20 am by Clansman »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:53 am »
Captive bolt stunners don't require a firearm certificate, anyone over 18 can buy and use one.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder how I got my wires crossed then.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS