Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bring em in or leave em out  (Read 3867 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
bring em in or leave em out
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
I only have three ewes lambing this year. I have buildings ready with hurdles etc but I was wonder when/if I should bring them in to lamb. They are due from Saturday, should I just bring them in from the due date and feed them inside or should I leave them in the small patch close to the house until they lamb and then take them in - or just leave them out all the time?

Arrrragh

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: bring em in or leave em out
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:37:11 am »
We had ours in by nght and out by day cos they were lambing during the snow.  We are however continuing with t the same routine with our ewe lambs this time too so that they have plenty of exercise and a good ol forage.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:04 am »
Ours come in at night and out by day, unless the weather foul then they stay in all day. I bring them in at night a week before the first ones due.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »
Mine are due NOW allegedly!!  See previous post - and, as the others above are doing, they are in at night and out during the day which is fine as long as it is dry and reasonably warm like it is at the moment.  I think its better for the ewes to be outside when the weather is permissable rather than being stuck in a shed.  However, the weather is due to turn shortly so I will be leaving mine in during the day as well if its wet.  I think its safer that way.   I just wish they'd hurry up.  As regards your other post, my Dorsets have never had triplets, although I have only lambed three times - this is the fourth.  I could be encroaching on an area of which I don't have sufficient knowledge, but I think its mainly the more commercial breeds, such as Mules, which are prone to having triplets.  An acquaintence of mine keeps 200 Dorsets and has the odd set of triplets - not like on 'Lambing Live' where they were arriving by the truckload!! Please let me know how you get on with yours when they've lambed.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »
Hi Morri2 good to hear from you. Will keep you posted. Just planning in case of triplets really. Quite happy with healthy twins. Not due until 23rd but looking huge and listless so won't be long.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »
each to his own really, we bring ours in and they dont go back out until lambed, usually lamb really early in the morning so its easier having lights on in barn in case of problems ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »
I bring mine in at night so they are easier to check. Better than wandering the hedgerows in the dark.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS