Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waiting for lambies  (Read 3222 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Waiting for lambies
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »
Boy am I fed up.  Ewes due to lamb and they're all keeping their legs crossed.  Due date was Monday and after nightly checks and very early mornings I'm feeling shattered already and nothing to show for it!  Is anyone else out there in the same situation.  I've heard of all the 'signs' which are supposed to indicate the lamb is on the way, but can anyone give me some earlier sort of warnings - like ones which take place a couple of days before or a week before???  Just so I know something is on the way.  

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Waiting for lambies
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:36 pm »
Its a right royal pain in the butt isn't it!!!!

I'd love to know any secrets on this issue too!!

Ta

Baz

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »
We'll be in the same situation in the next few days.  We only have 7 ewes and I wish there was some way of knowing a couple of days in advance but I think it would be well documented if there was.  I'm going on Woollyshepherd's lambing course on Saturday so will ask the question then, but I guess you will be well under way by then Morri2.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
Ha ha, they like to keep you guessing you know!! 'signs' can be the vulva darkening and swelling, but not always, bagging up, some look like Dolly Parton a week before lambing whereas others dont bag up until its imminent! they are all different, but in any case its a lovely experience, mine all lambed during the day or early evening last year, lucky me I was there for all of them!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »
Ha, Ha!  I can laugh now as mine have all produced.  They range from 144 days to 151 and I had a mix.  Apart from bagging up you should see the vulva looking pink and swollen.  The swelling gets worse the closer they are.  Signs can be subtle so if you know your sheep you should see changes in behaviour.  Will look into space, wander aimlessly, go stand in a corner and just generally be restless.  Will start with pawing the ground, progress to lying down.  I did notice mine lay down a lot more as they got closer.

The books say they skip their grub but 4 out of 5 preferred a full stomach and lambed fairly soon after they ate!  Only the last one turned her nose up at food and took herself off into the shelter making penning her up so much easier!  Mind you she then took over 5 hours to lamb.

They can't cross their legs for much longer so you might get some sleep by the weekend!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:04:33 pm »
AT LAST!!! Waiting over....twins at 5am this morning, a ram and a ewe.  Thank goodness they've made a start. Eight more (or perhaps seven, one ewe not looking very pregnant) to go!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS