Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dogs and why?  (Read 17239 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What dogs and why?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 11:58:36 am »
My poodle Archie and just because I love him to bits.

Here he is in his new bed which was a present from my neighbours.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:40 pm »
I have had a variety of different breeds over the years but my all time favourite is the Australian Cattle Dog.  I liked them primarily because of their 'rugged' looks - they aren't your normal show dog!  They are quirky, full on, can be hugely irritating and not for the faint hearted.  But they are always entertaining, easily trained (although they can have their own 'take' on things), very loyal and wonderful companions for an active lifestyle.

Mine also prove their worth keeping a watchful eye on my premises - traveller types would come past regularly and ask if I had any spare scrap/wanted trees felling/painting work done, while eyeing up the outbuildings.  But since the dogs run free in the yard, I don't have those requests any more!

My three - Woody, Ruby and Indie (Indie is totally deaf but you wouldn't know it!)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 02:45:37 pm »
[member=23842]Remy[/member] I looked at ACDs for my next dog after meeting a couple of loving their spunk but kept hearing about how prevalent epilepsy is in the breed. Is this true or is it certain lines or? I'd appreciate some more info please - by pm is fine :)

millerdan

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »
I've only just joined this forum today... moving to my first smallholding in a few weeks, but have plenty of experience in dogs!!

I currently have 5 labradors ranging from 10 to 19 months in age, Danny, Jake, Millie, Lola and Lenny. 3 of which are related (Millie is Lola's mum and Lola is Lenny's mum)  I show and work them (to varying degrees), but Lola is my special one as she was the first girl I bred, and became a full UK Champion 2 years ago. I am now campaigning her son Lenny in the show-ring, although his gundog work is somewhat behind the standard to which they usually are at his age! LOL

I am hoping to have another litter from Lola at some point after we've moved and got settled, and hopefully keep another girl to keep my line going  :fc:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 06:40:09 pm »
I have working gundogs

2 Labs (mother & daughter)
1 Wirehaired Vizsla
1 Springer Spaniel
1 retired Lurcher

I pick up on 3 pheasant shoots beat on a grouse moor, help run our own DIY pheasant shoot and Duck flight every other week.
So they get plenty of work, ha.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:20 am »
2 sprockers- 1 is 1/2 springer 1/2 working cocker, the other is out of the first with a working cocker dad. We wanted something small but with lots of energy to come out on the farm with us and also to train up to work, they are nuts  :roflanim:

Moobli

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Scotland
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 08:16:22 pm »
Two German shepherds - one who works, the other who guards

And currently 9 working border collies (with a litter due from our red bitch in a month)

I won't add a photo of every single one  ;)

And one of our youngest dogs coming on nicely - Joe at 9 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiOck7KZQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j49rAlJntNw

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »
Gorgeous pics, my next dog is going to be a decent working collie...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 09:05:14 am »
Bryn. I honestly don't know why these dogs aren't more popular. He's a cracker. Would have no hesitation in having a second once Bryn's a bit older.

Doesn't slaver, has a proper big dog bark, non-stick coat (I tipped a barrowload of manure over him the other day by accident and it had no effect. Should have called him Tefal), likes being part of the pack, reasonably biddable; likes cats, sheep, ponies, children, other dogs.

And he's awful bonny. (This is an old photo)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS