Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dogs and why?  (Read 17242 times)

RBHP

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: What dogs and why?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »

I have 2 working terriers and they clear farms of vermin!

Rats and mice have no look-in and they catch rabbits for me to prepare them meals.
Hunting Terriers

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:11 am »
Although I have an elderly rescue lurcher (Jess) at the moment who I adore, I always have a preference for a good old fashioned mongrel.  Not one of those daft 'poo' things just a Heinz 57, over the years they have never let me down. They have been great family dogs, good guards and steadfast companions.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »
Welsh Sheepdog, cos I live in Wales and I needed a dog for my sheep! :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 10:35:44 pm »
The gang!  2 Gordons because I love them and wanted to work them.  Jock on the left has done grouse counting and been shot over and is my bestest friend.  Jenny the other setter was way too hard for me to control! Lovely temperament and is a sweetie.  The collie at the back is Dottie, again a beautiful temperament, works sheep very nicely unless her head says otherwise ( she is epileptic).  Rico the boy is a rescue and an agility star - has gone from grade 1 to grade 5 in 2 years!  Also does a fairly good impression of a sheepdog sometimes!  Lad at the front is only 5 months and is a lovely cuddly soft puppy.  May do sheep work, may do agility, may not do either, but will always be very much loved because he is such a softy!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

OGDerpette

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 10:16:26 pm »
I have a 4-5 month Border Collie (right) and a 1year old half border collie, half spaniel x staffie (left) both are absolutely crazy, love training, running and anything as long as its done at 100mph! Storm the cross does agility and obedience (she's good but still quite young and a bit strong headed), when we got her we said we wanted the calmer nature of a staffie, friendliness of a spaniel and intelligence of a collie, I think instead we got the stubbornness of a staffie, the attention span of a spaniel and the energy of a collie!!!! We love her to bits though and wouldn't have her any other way. I have always loved the border collie breed and we finally got one (Cooper, not our name choice) almost 2 weeks ago. He's a lot sweeter and gentler than storm but also a bit madder!!! Will have to see how he turns out when he's older :)

My dad used to have a greyhound and he adores the breed. She was a lovely gentle dog but mostly bonded with my dad and didn't give a damn about anyone else! Also had little interest in food or toys and NO interest in training of any kind! I think they are great dogs for people who have little time for exercise and just want a dog to keep them company in a flat. Star was great with all animals, including our crazy rescue cat even though she used to be a racing dog, however I hear a lot are very prey driven and so can be a problem around small animals and dogs.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:18:42 pm by OGDerpette »

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:22 am »
The gang!  2 Gordons because I love them...
Although I love our BT's, I do really like Gordon and English Setters.  Sadly our cottage doesn't lend itself to a large dog and also the boss said no  :huff:

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »
7 siberian huskies, 1x 15year old, 5x8years old and 1x5months old, why because i love this breed and i also love to work train this breed

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:05 am »
1 x Dalmatian - never again!
1 x huntaway x collie - working
1 x collie - scared of sheep

keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:30 pm »
What was wrong with the dalmatian, if you don't mind me asking?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:50 am »
don't get me wrong, I love my poor old Oscar but no I wouldn't choose another Dalmatian.

The puppy phase lasted for YEARS and no word of a lie, he was exhausting! Had him snipped within a year but that didn't calm him down until he was probably 7 or 8, he would get under any fence and wander off for hours, he's 13 in October.
oh and the hair!!!.....all year round snowstorm of short hair that sticks like velcro to EVERYTHING. Tried brushing him every day in one place to contain it but as soon as he brushed past something your left with a carpet of hair.
He is a lovely dog, never a wrong growl from him but he will bark at anything and everything. He can't go 3 miles in the car without vomiting so can't take him anywhere unless its an emergency. But to be fair to him, he's never messed in the house but then he can open doors which lets the hens in and they mess everywhere.
He's been a massive part of this family, and we all love him and in that respect he is irreplacable but I won't miss the constant hoovering and picking hair out of clothes with tweezers
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 07:48:41 am »
 :llama:Can't answer for FRH but we had a collie and a Dalmatian once.  When they were given a command the collie would look at you as if to say - oh yes, and what would you like me to do next?  The Dalmatian would say - you and whose army?  We managed to lose the collie but gained a jack russel and even that is noticeably more responsive although not necessarily better behaved.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 07:55:52 am »
ha ha yes, our Oscar is like that too. I blamed ourselves for humanising him, he has brilliant facial expressions! You can shout him and you know he can hear you but he he takes one look over his shoulder, head down and off he goes!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 12:09:46 pm »
2 Labradors and a wee lurcher.

1 lab is 13 and retired and very old and smelly but I love her to bits.
1 lab is 2 and my ace picking up dog.  Super fast, loves her job.  The sweetest little dog possible.  Totally spoilt!

Twiggy my lurcher is 9 and my soul mate.  Totally useless for anything apart from chasing deer, cats, hares etc when she is NOT allowed!!  Squeaks if you tread on her toes, bump into her, touch her too hard, has the pain threshold of a knat!!  Is my total shadow and gets away with murder!!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »
2 Labradors and a wee lurcher.

1 lab is 13 and retired and very old and smelly but I love her to bits.
1 lab is 2 and my ace picking up dog.  Super fast, loves her job.  The sweetest little dog possible.  Totally spoilt!

Twiggy my lurcher is 9 and my soul mate.  Totally useless for anything apart from chasing deer, cats, hares etc when she is NOT allowed!!  Squeaks if you tread on her toes, bump into her, touch her too hard, has the pain threshold of a knat!!  Is my total shadow and gets away with murder!!

Photos please Trish!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 09:34:52 am »
3 Dalmatians!!!!
Absolutely love them and one of them is a PAT dog, he visits a local Nursing Home.  I'm very proud of him as he is only 2 1/2 and everyone said I would never be able to do it with a Dally.  They are great with the horses, funny with the donkeys, dodgy with the hens (!!) and one of them licks the inside of the sheeps ears clean which they seem to like as they come over to him to have it done...very funny to watch but yet to catch it on camera! Agree with their attitude to doing things though.....always had labs before...so.. if you threw something and said "Fetch' it would do just that, if I throw something and ask one of the Dalmatians to do that, I get a disdainful look and a fairly obvious "if you wanted it, why did you throw it away!!" or a "do I look like a retriever?"!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:22:54 am by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS