Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332618 times)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »
Trying to fix up bikes so I can go cycling. Also some fencing will need doing, so I had better crack on with that and I have some revision to do too!
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #691 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »
Getting everything sorted so that I can have a day away at the sheep sales tomorrow.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #692 on: August 04, 2016, 05:23:04 pm »
catching a ram lamb with strike. Well my dog caught him for me by driving into a corner and standing her ground barking at him, he darent move. I sorted him out and he wasnt as bad as I thought, only a tiny patch on his back. Even still I checked all ovrr him to make sure and then gave him a good dousing in oil with citronella. For now I am going to be keeping a watchful eye on him, none of the others have it atm, weathers too cold. He does have thick skin though, I have found that this ram is throwing good lambs with a tight thick fleece and skin, only one or two with minor strike this year, the maggots barely piercing the skin.  Anyway congratulated the dog and gave her a lovely meal, now to make some pizza for tea. Now where did I put that mozzarella?...... :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #693 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »
Trying to find time to do fencing, plus the garden will need a strim too! I have a list but somehow I don't seem to follow it ;D
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #694 on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:34 pm »
Steeling my self for my holiday treat of painting the old steading roofs .
Paint, brushes,ladders,rope  all ready just need dry days, its 3,600 square feet barr falling off the roof it shouldn't take long  :fc: .

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #695 on: August 14, 2016, 06:55:24 pm »
My Sunday has gone something like this:
1. 9am phone call from John Angie to say he's on his way to turn the hay and will be here in about 30 minutes. Figure I'd better put some clothes on.
2. Go out to muck out horses, distracted by Mick jumping up and down pointing at our drive. One of the new lambs has managed to scramble up the log pile and jump the fence. Swear loudly.
3. While I go for a bucket of feed and my crook and Mick puts the dog in the house, the lamb decides she doesn't want to try and get back to her friends and legs it down the road.
4. Set off in hot pursuit, rattling bucket in a not-too-hopeful manner.
5. Lamb has met up with some of Anna's sheep and is now merrily skipping up the hill towards the common grazings. Rattle bucket for all I'm worth.
6. Anna's sheep know what a bucket is and come back down the hill, bringing the lamb with them.
7. Get as far as Jim Wilson's house, now with about 10 sheep following me and feeling like the Pied Piper. Anna's sheep hit the boundary of their territory and decide they're not coming any further. Mick and I manage to split the lamb out, but miss catching it. Lamb disappears up hill towards the common grazings again.
8. I give up and go and see if Ronald's in. Bless him, he and his dog get on his quad bike and head off up the hill to bring her down while I wait at the crossroads to turn her in the right direction for home. Wave at John Angie as he goes past with the hay turner.
9. Lamb, being awkward, shoots down the gap on the other side of Archie's house. Ronald shouts, 'Catch it!' and I miss again. Lamb shoots off down towards the salmon station. Much swearing all round.
10. As a few of Ronald's sheep are hanging around that area, he kindly rounds them all up into the pen behind his house. Lamb is recaptured.
11. Lamb is put over Ronald's lap on the quad bike and driven home in fine style. Thank Ronald profusely, go down the road to see how John Angie is getting on.
12. Hay is turned and smelling okay. John suggests we fire up the baler and throw a few bales through it. He and Mick hook it up while I wheelbarrow the requested six bales up from the shed.
13. John fires up his tractor (which is possibly an unfortunate choice of verb, because it had a small electrical fire whilst cutting my other field yesterday and was only saved by John throwing his flask of coffee over it!), the baler creaks into life and YES! IT LIVES!!
14. Doesn't knot very well though. Investigation shows that the knotters, which we'd cleared out previously, have baler twine wrapped round them again. Clear out the baler twine, sand down one slightly rusty bit of knotter and put some grease on it, re-thread it and cross our fingers.
15. Baler knots perfectly three times in a row. Move on to hay bob. Much, much swearing and WD40 later, get it set into position for rowing up, so it's ready to swap for John's turner/spreader.
16. 2.45. Lunch.
17. Mick heads off to the vegetable patch to put a fence around it so we can move the lambs down a field and stop any more escape attempts. I fire up the truck and go next door to pick up the pallets my neighbour kindly said I could have from his barn. Three trips and 10 pallets later, the byre is ready to stack bales in.
18. Mick has reached peak swearing with the fencing, so we finish it together. Lambs moved into new field, sheep put in with them (on the grounds that if they all pal up then if I do have another escapee, I can take the three bucket-trained ones with me to get it!), fly sheets put on the boys because it's now midge city, humans collapse in a heap.

Knackered but happy!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #696 on: August 14, 2016, 07:36:32 pm »
....... Chasing two naughty kittens around the garden. Curled up tight now with full tummies and having a cwtch.   :cat:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #697 on: August 14, 2016, 09:25:12 pm »
Wow CarolineJ,
                  what a day ! good that it turned out ok.

I painted the roof until I fell off with half a bucket of oil based semi gloss paint following me down  & covering me .
Mrs RTB cross with me having to clean me down with thinners and missing some of the the Olympics ! In pain had lie down. Back up again tomorrow for second coat . roof not me , hpoefully.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #698 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:48 pm »
seeing my niece and nephew off with their mother. Exhausted now, babysitting really takes it out of you. Also managed to cut grass today, so baling Tuesday, really hoping the weather holds out!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #699 on: August 15, 2016, 08:30:11 am »
Praying for rain!! (which doesn't look likely)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2016, 10:28:21 am »
getting 3 calves in building and worming before going to their new home; new owners due to come at about 12pm. Sorting out milk for calves, only feeding 4 now and 2 are going to be weaned soon! :excited: Trying to get someone out to ted the grass for me as I have baling tomoz. Lastly but not least I need a relaxing bath as I am not feeling very well, very warm and tired, probably after picking all that rag last evening before he cut that field. :tired:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #701 on: August 16, 2016, 03:23:23 am »
in pain......  :'(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #702 on: August 16, 2016, 08:47:55 am »
I'm sorry to hear that RB. An infusion of willow bark and meadowsweet may help (or a couple of codeine and a large brandy!)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #703 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:40 am »
trying to deal with ant bites all over my shoulder and side. Also buying in more black wrap for the baler, its time to finish the garden for next year too. Now where did that shovel go.....

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #704 on: August 16, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »
another day on the roof, I did say ON the roof, half done Look really nice , mrs RTB helping tomorrow . I just have a bit of a hangover from the vapours......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS