Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Valais Blacknose  (Read 14806 times)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
Re: Valais Blacknose
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
This baffles me! We have over sixty 'native' breeds in this country and yet we import foreign breeds. If we want the consumer to buy British then surely we should be breeding/producing British sheep .(Stand up and be proud)!!  Many of our own breeds need our help to keep the numbers up.
Farmers spending tens of thousands on a ram then bleating on they can't make any money out of sheep.C'mon??
Yes I believe these will be a passing fad until the market for them is flooded, then what?
Personally I think they look demonic!!!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:15 am »
Steve has a point - Breeds are often rare for a good reason - And most breeds I can think of their downsides - Some are escape artists, others too small, bad grades, slow growing, too much wool, strike, feet etc, and Most farmers have stuck with simpler systems based around breeds perfected to their area, and that simply means a lot get crowded out as they dont match, that said they do widen the gene base and are very valugble in that respect.

Something as simple as the fact that using Hebrideans to cross with texels to produce a breeding ewe - the resulting 1st cross is an excelent animal, grading well in its own right, fast growing but alot of the hardiness of the hebridean, and the ability to thrive and grow well on VERY poor grazing, and live out all year - the genetics are coming from the rare breed, and have a place, but on its own the Heb is difficult to make pay in the purest sense.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:33 am »
One of the Valias breeders is offering their last 3 fleeces for £60 a fleece on FB.  Says
They are incredibly soft not at all like any other of the British long wool breeds
which frankly has got my back right up.  Not only do we have some wonderful longwools with gorgeous fleeces, but from what I've heard, the Valais is more at the GFD end of the scale than the Leicester Longwool end.   :rant:  :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 10:52:37 am »
But then, Sally, if they advertised them as "almost as good as several very hardy British native breeds you can buy for a fraction of the cost of these", would they have any takers ....?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:04 am »
But then, Sally, if they advertised them as "almost as good as several very hardy British native breeds you can buy for a fraction of the cost of these", would they have any takers ....?

lol.  But yes, they would  :D.  Spinners love a new fluffy to try...  :excited: :spin:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 05:10:08 pm »
I saw them for the first time at the kent show, met the owners, who were very nice, the sheep are really very calm and friendly, much larger than I had thought, and in time as they become more popular the price will come down, too higher price for me at 4k per ewe. :)
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »
I saw them for the first time at the kent show, met the owners, who were very nice, the sheep are really very calm and friendly, much larger than I had thought, and in time as they become more popular the price will come down, too higher price for me at 4k per ewe. :)
4k a ewe!!!! I'm lost for words I need to go and sit down.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »
A fool and their money . . . . .

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 03:54:59 pm »
A fool and their money . . . . .

Very true

I did touch a Valais at a show this year in may, I was surprised how rough the hair/wool was, was expecting it to be much softer, the ewe was very tall, taller than a zwartbles and thin, like a mule after milking the whole summer and skipping a few worming doses even though the lamb/lambs it had with it was/were very small and young.

It was highly amusing though as when I touched the ewes side, she turned her head and scratched where I touched with her long and twisted horn, I did it a few times in different spots and she kept repeating it, hitting the exact spot each time, maybe it just proves I am easily amused  ::) but I found it hilarious! she was chewing the cud the whole time she did it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS