Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Bartsia and sheep  (Read 2520 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Red Bartsia and sheep
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
We intend to get a 4/5 sheep and will be grazing them on our horses paddock. In the identification forum I have discovered that reddish weed growing in the field is Red Bartsia... Never heard of it before!
As far as I can see it is "not known to be to toxic" but has anyone else grazed sheep with in the field. We have quite a lot it.... Planning to pull what I can and mow tight the rest. It is an annual so is it worth spot spraying it with 'round up' .

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Red Bartsia and sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:15 pm »
Presumably if it hasn't killed your horses it can't be that lethal. ???
As it's an annual, then if you're pulling it and mowing it, there seems little point in then spraying it with roundup. If I were going to spot spray then I would do it instead of mowing, so preserving what grass you have for grazing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:53:59 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »
It pulls up really easy just try and do it before it flowers and sets seed.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »
Thank you both,
I have started pulling but 3 acres is quite daunting, this year it has really spread, must be perfect growing conditions and not being quick enough last year.
We are going to mow where my horse has grazed, the grass is very short, as only horses can. It will be good to get the sheep to help with field management, not to mention enjoying them for themselves and lamb for the future (not possible until now).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS