Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Last minute Covenant grrrrrrrrrrr  (Read 21048 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: Last minute Covenant grrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:02:53 am »
If the clause / covenant is only to prtect the seller from you making a commercial profit from land that they want to sell you at agricultural values, then putting up an agricultural shed shouldn't be a problem because it is not hugely increasing the value of the plot.
kirsty

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:57 am »
Pikies are travellers or gypsies.

We had a covenant slapped on us too, by our own family.  So if we develop any part of the farm, they will reap the benefits .....they already are reaping them with the payout.  It is  quite usual nowadays for people to cover their backs, so to speak.

Really, if you intend to only use the land for agricultrual purposes, and keep it that way, then it will not be a problem.

I suppose if you put the boot on the other foot, and consider if you were the seller, did not put a clause on, and then a year down the line, found the buyer had made a packet on putting houses on it.  Their solicitor will have said they should safeguard themselves against this happening.

Pikie's are the same down this way  ;D

If the vender is concerned about me making a profit on the by developing it, why dont they apply for planning (which will only cost £500) then sell the land with approved planning permission

Which would increase the value

Im a little angry because they put this clause in AFTER I made my offer and they accepted

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:34 am »
no problem ...build a house on it ....then sell it to your other half , or your mum or dad whoever ? for £100 more than you bought it for .... then a month later buy it back after giving the people you buy it off their £50 .....problem solved..... ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

why an extravagent £100 more?

£0.10 more i would have thought!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:46 am »
I can understand you being angry, sounds like they didn't take legal advice before accepting you offer!  find out exactly what the clause is and speak to the solicitor, if you're paying top dollar for agricultural land then effectively they're making good moneyanyway and you can argue against the clause,  if they are selling it at agricultural prices then I suppose its not unreasonable to safegueard their possible investment. Just a thought!

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:45 am »
I can understand you being angry, sounds like they didn't take legal advice before accepting you offer!  find out exactly what the clause is and speak to the solicitor, if you're paying top dollar for agricultural land then effectively they're making good moneyanyway and you can argue against the clause,  if they are selling it at agricultural prices then I suppose its not unreasonable to safegueard their possible investment. Just a thought!

They are doing ok on this deal, land is very hard to get hold of in my neck of the woods

£14,000 per ACRE!!!!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 09:25:57 am »
Yes you never hear of £2k an acre anymore!! See what your solicitor reckons!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:21 am »
Just as an aside - 'pikey/pikie' is actually classed as a racially offensive term, for those who don't realise it  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:31:37 am by sagehen »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:31:26 am »
I'm sure it is, but think they'd prefer that than the other names I have for them! ;D

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:59 am »
You would be shocked what the guys who work for call me......its unprintable  :'(

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:19 pm »
Guys who work for you, or guys you work for? Either way, you can always tell them to stop it.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »
it happens a lot up here. people are given or buy a small plot for a house build it and sell it on for a big profit. is that fare.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »
Just as an aside - 'pikey/pikie' is actually classed as a racially offensive term, for those who don't realise it  ;D
Hmm how about, 'do as you likies' then!! ;D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »
Tell them to drop the cause or you'll walk. They should have been open about this when they put the land on the market. Nobody in their right mind would buy under those conditions and you need to think about what would you do if you needed to sell it on in a few years.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »
I agree to an extent.  I know you have to look at it from the other side.  But if you are selling a property you sort all of that out before you have anyone interested as otherwise it is tantamount to fraud and deceipt.  However, if there is no other land around that suits you then you must go down the route of asking a solicitors advice, then if you don't get agreement you walk.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 06:33:19 am »
I am kind of stuffed, Ive been looking for a bit of land round this way for almost 2 years now so I dont really have much of a choice to be honest  :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS